Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2006, 09:16 AM

I was just wondering if anyone had taken a cruise to Cozumel recently? Our family is considering taking a 4-5 day cruise on the Inspiration to Cozumel leaving from Tampa, Fl. in April 07 around the 2-8 time frame. We are interested in the rebuilding of the city and the excursions that are offered. Are they still tendering the ships? Is the city up and running --- are there things to do? (We will have two teenage boys, ages 15 and 17.) If anyone has any tips, suggestions or infromation that you can share, please do. I look forward to hearing back from you all.

Hope

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-04-2006, 12:42 PM

I found this very recent articale about Cozumel...

http://northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dn...dnFlZUVFeXk2OTk 0NTMx
Old 10-04-2006, 04:16 PM

We went to Cozumel in Sept. We had to tender in because the dock is still in shambles. We went to Cozumel before the hurricane and it was my favorite port. After the hurricane it seemed like some of the life had gone out of the party so to speak.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:22 PM

We rented a jeep and drove around the Island. Beware any kind of accident the police will take you to jail. We drove to the lighthouse and the took a bus/truck down to the beach. The Lighthouse is nothing to see, the museum is a joke and the ruins are laughable. The beach was very nice though and with park admission (10$) you can use the chairs, bathroom and umbrellas.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:24 PM

The beach resorts are all just fine so you have a pick of those to go to.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:46 AM

The island is genrally in excellent shape, though it is true it is quiet at the moment as it is low season and also some cruise ships aren't coming here due to the piers and bureacratic issues rebuilding them. This should be seen as a plus though - the place isn't so crowded and you'll feel less like sheep! The local people are also as friendly as ever and you can get some good deals as they need the business.

Sorry CableCruiser didn't enjoy the lighthouse - did you climb up to the top? Personally, I found it very interesting and it offers great views of the south of the island. I agree the beach is beautiful, they also have a lagoon boat tour included in the entry fee and you can sometimes see crocs.

If anyone would like to see a full review of Punta Sur Park, see the story 'The Original South Park' on this Cozumel travel site.

It is simply not true that the police will take you to jail for 'any kind of accident'. Although you will be made to pay for any damage if it is your fault. If you rent a car make sure you take full insurance - there are some other Driving Tips on the same website mentioned above too.

I also agree the beaches are in great shape now.

Ian
Old 10-13-2006, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hope:
I was just wondering if anyone had taken a cruise to Cozumel recently? Our family is considering taking a 4-5 day cruise on the Inspiration to Cozumel leaving from Tampa, Fl. in April 07 around the 2-8 time frame. We are interested in the rebuilding of the city and the excursions that are offered. Are they still tendering the ships? Is the city up and running --- are there things to do? (We will have two teenage boys, ages 15 and 17.) If anyone has any tips, suggestions or infromation that you can share, please do. I look forward to hearing back from you all.

Hope
We were just there two weeks ago on the Inspiration and only really got to Paradise Beach (which is great). But there's already lots to do on the island and they're constantly working on bringing everything back. So I'm sure by April pretty much everything will be ready for you. There was plenty of shopping at International Pier, but we didn't get to San Miguel unfortunately, which is a really long hike or a short taxi ride (with fixed prices). The excursions will cost you more if you book them with the ship, so try to book something locally.

Closed Thread

Tags
park, punta, sur