Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2007, 08:54 PM

Leaving sep 2 from galveston. Have never been on carnival, jamaica Grand cayman or cozumel.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:54 PM

Leaving sep 2 from galveston. Have never been on carnival, jamaica Grand cayman or cozumel.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:36 PM

Welcome to cruise-chat. My husband and son did the canopy/zip line tour. They loved it. Swinging through the trees, and suspension bridges doesn't sound like fun to me. It's a height thing. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-13-2007, 12:14 AM
We did this cruise out of New Orleans a couple years ago. I had heard bad things about Montego Bay so we chose to go to Sunset Beach Resort. What a great day it was! 13 of us. Walked off the ship and was approached by a woman asking us where we were going. Told her and she offered transportaion for $2.00 each. We were loaded into a new van with a very nice driver. The drive was no more than a mile. He offered to pick us up and we said 2pm.

The cost at the time was $20.00 adults and $10.00 children. The cost has now doubled but they have opened a water park. The price included all food and drinks, non motorized watercrafts, snorkles, beach, beach chairs, pool, jaccuzi and waterpark. They have a great swimup bar. It was beautiful there. At 2pm we walked out of the resort and there was our van waiting. Not all chose to leave and the driver offered to return to pick up the rest.

We were warned to only take certain taxis. I beleive the red ones but if I am wrong someone will correct me. Also someone else can probably explain the reason better than I.

We encountered one problem which I did not find out until months later. Seems when my daughter and her friends returned later they left a sign and sail card in the taxi. Fearing they would not get back on the ship they were in a panick. Another cab driver, not the good ones, offered to take them to catch up with the taxi for $80.00. They got him down to $25.00 which was all they had. They only had to go a couple blocks to catch the taxi. He then tried to sell them drugs.

This is not offered through Carnival. For more information you can visit their website @ www.sunsetbeachresort.com
Old 07-13-2007, 10:13 AM
Banned

livetotravel. hi and welcome. I know I sound like a broken record, but, do not venture off on your own in Jamaica. Stay with an organized excursion for your own safety. SanDee has a good recommendation. Also, consider Dunns River Falls. Amazing and beautiful.

You will absolutely love Cozumel and Grand Cayman. My two personal favorite ports.

Have a great cruise.
A'ndrea
Old 07-13-2007, 01:35 PM

To be honest, Montego Bay is the only port that I will stay on the ship.. I am too young to be a statistic.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Banned

dr, I'm with you on this one. As hard as it is, I was trying to keep a little more positive attitude towards Jamaica. I always post the same answer when a newbie asks. Didn't want to scare liketotravel too much.

Geez, it's so unfortunate that is has to be that way. Jamaica is a beautiful country, geographically. It's a shame.

A'ndrea
Old 07-13-2007, 07:02 PM

Ditto on Jamaica.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Mo Bay is more of a hassle than Ocho Rios, although they do a great job of keeping the area around the port at Mo Bay clear of hustlers and panhandlers. Actually, Ocho Rios isn't too bad these days either until you get outside the port property. Then the panhandlers and others have free reign.

Jamaica used to not be this bad. I first visited Ocho Rios in 1981 when my U.S. Navy ship stopped there. It was a fairly quiet place with a couple of resort hotels (the Americana was one) and the occasional cruise ship visit. We walked to Dunn's River Falls from the pier (we docked at what is now known as the James Bond Pier). We walked around town at night with no worries.

Jamaica is a great place but if you are easily spooked or frightened by forceful people it can quickly become a bad dream. I know two men (owners of the other forum I work at) who love Jamaica and live there part of every year. All I can say is that they have a higher tolerance for annoyance than I do.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:55 PM

Margaritavville was interesting. It's a great place for a tall drink.

Sonny

Closed Thread

Tags
bay, beach, jamacia, margaritavvilecom, montego, resort, sunset