Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2005, 09:23 PM

Has anyone ever been on this excursion through Carnival? We want to have a little fun and a few drinks. Is this worth the money or should we just take a taxi to Margaritaville? I never book excursions through the ship but since i am not that comfortable in Jamaica, thought I might. Any replys would be appreciated. We are leaving in a little over 2 weeks on the Carnival Conquest.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:52 PM

Julie - we have been told that Sunset Beach is the place to go!

Private, all sorts of equipment there to use (paddleboats, sunfish & such + snorkel equipment). They feed you (we are told the food is good) and have a open bar + sodas & other non-adult beverages. All for $20 per person.

Better yet, security is tight and all the dope dealers & such are kept on the other side of the fence :-)

We are sailing 9 Oct on the Conquest - are you on our sailing or the week before?
Old 09-18-2005, 07:39 PM

bobinnm,

Thanks for the info about Sunset Beach. You are actually the second person that has told me that. How do you book? Do you call the hotel directly or just go when you get in town? We may do that..I do want to check out Margaritaville, even if it is only for a while. I heard the water slide is fun. Probably more fun after a few drinks! We are sailing on the Conquest 10/2. We are excited. I haven't ever been to the Cayman Islands. We have a jeep rented there. Have you heard anything negative about driving there?
Old 09-19-2005, 06:13 PM

Julie,

First off - know that I am a first timer and am passing on the info folks have told me (I have been obsessively planning this first cruise for months now :-)

I am told that you catch a cab from the tender terminal to Sunset Beach. One of the other cruiser's called the beach a few weeks ago and confirmed the $20 per person charge. We can hardly wait!

You say you are leaving on the Conquest? So are we! We sail on 9 Oct - is that your date as well - or are you on the cruise the week before?

Tip we were given about Sunset Beach - it is a open bar, so be careful how much you consume - they tend to mix 'em strong in the Caribbean! The last thing you want to do is loose track of time and miss that last tender to the Conquest!

We hear that margaritaville is a hoot - we are traveling with teens & tweens so we will probably pass on that - although I hear the waterslide is a complete blast - zings you right out in the bay! (maybe I WON'T pass THAT up :-) From what we are told, M'ville is pretty close to the Tender terminal and you can see the ship from the bar.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Julie K:
bobinnm,

We are sailing on the Conquest 10/2. We are excited. I haven't ever been to the Cayman Islands. We have a jeep rented there. Have you heard anything negative about driving there?
DARN we will just miss you -- I guess you can wave at us as we board and you disembark on the 8th

I have not heard anything negative about the Caymans (Jamaica OTOH...hear that is a bad idea there.)

We were told that CAPT Marvin's snorkel trip to Stingray city is the BEST thing you can do on the Caymans - everyone raves about it and even calls it a lifetime experience - so that is where we are going.

At the request of my 9 Year Old Daughter we are also going to the Turtle Farm (she is a turtle addict!) - I have heard good things about this place too so if you keep the jeep you may want to drive by & check it out! (But you also might want to look into Captain marvin's
CAPT Marvin's Web Site

Hope you have a great time! What are you guys planning on doing in Cozumel?
Old 09-19-2005, 08:22 PM

I have heard good things about Turtle farm as well. My 2 boys (8&5) would like that too. I think they would freak out with the sting-rays. We may give it a try. I am actually leaving the boys on the ship in Jamaica if we go to margaritaville and shopping. I do not feel real comfortable taking them into town. I will only take them if we end up going to Sunset beach. They LOVE Camp Carnival and usually prefer to stay there if they have a choice. As far as Cozumel, we are going to Playa Sol. I booked through shoretrips.com. That is a beach that has everything you can imagine. (All-Incl drinks,food,beach toys,chairs.water tramp,and even a mini zoo!) I have heard the place can get crowded since some of the ships have excursions there. Even if a little crowded, my kids will probably enjoy all the fun toys and the pool. My hubby and I will enjoy the drinks! If you decide to go there, book thru shoretrips. I paid $41 a person, and the same trip thru Carnival is like $71 a person. I hope you have a good cruise. This will be our second one. I am watching the hurricane now. I hope Galveston doesn't get blown away or flooded before we leave on the 2nd.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:34 PM

Thanks for the tip Julie...as for Sting Ray Bay, my 9 year old can't wait (she has seen them in acquariums and thinks they are cool! :-)

I suspect your 8 year old would love it and the 5 year old would not let older brother get away with doing something without him :-)

From what we are told, we are expecting the sting ray city & Turtle farm to be the top tour of our trip (all the other things we are doing is diving and we KNOW those will be cool...but we are experienced divers so it is not a *new* thing :-)

Closed Thread

Tags
bay, beach, cruise, excursions, jamaica, montego, place, port, sail, sailing, snorkel, snorkeling, tour, wet, wild