Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2006, 07:27 AM

I've never been to Progresso, but I know people who have. They tell me this is not an enjoyable place. That it is ugly, nothing to do etc. Well, that can't be totally true or the ship wouldn't stop there. Please tell me what to do and where to go there.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Here is an overview of Progreso (and it does have one "s") from our port reviews section. At the bottom of this overview you will find links for several other reviews.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:56 PM

We went to Progreso last year when all the NCL Dream's port stops to Cancun, Cozumel, Roatan & Belize were cancelled due to hurricanes. Progreso was awesome - it was MUCH better than Veracruz. We had the entire port to ourselves - complete w/ shops, swimming pool, sand volleyball and a tiki hut bar. I'm sure they've added on more things to do since we've been there but as far as going outside the port, it's sad driving through one of the poorest towns. I would recommend seeing the ruins or doing excursions through the ship at this port.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:08 AM

Was in Progreso in 02, It was just starting to be a cruise port then it seemed. That cruise had 5 port days so was just an unexplored port to me. I liked it, was not at all commercialized. They had a Flea Market type square with vendors and some local kids did a dance show. It happened to be a Holiday for them, I think Solstice? The pier is really long and you do have to take a bus or taxi. The tour bus Tom speaks of in Dave's linked article was only $1 back then. If you go past the vendor square and take a left down the street there are some store vendors with much better deals. I got a nice silver/onyx ring $9 was real, and a nice Mayan mask, Friend got a huge Mexican rug for $15. If you walk on down it ends up on the waterfront with a view of the pier and ship in the distance, and to the right is a Tiki bar. I had a wonderful day just shopping, and everyone was so nice. I guess the commercialization had not started, and was mostly local people who seemed so glad you were there. It was Hot. PM me I will send a couple pics.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:06 AM

Sorry about the multiple questions Dave....I'm new to this site, and am not familiar with all of it yet. I thought I had posted a question on Progreso...with one "s"...but when I looked for it, I didn't see it...."old age" must be setting in!! ha! Thanks!
Old 09-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Administrator

No problem, annies! Do you know that if you click on your screen name you can go to all of your recent posts? This is a good way to follow things you may have forgot about.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, port, progreso, progresso, things