Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2005, 09:23 AM

My husband and I just returned from a week aboard the beautiful Mariner of the Seas. We had such a wonderful time! However, there was some sort of emergency on the ship and we had to make an emergency stop in Miami on our way back to Port Canaveral. We heard that a passenger died onboard of either a heart attack or blood clot. Just wondering if anyone can verify what happened? It would be such a tragedy if someone died while they were on vacation.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:30 PM

aswest,

while I cannot confirm this particular incident, I have been on a number of cruises where somebody got critically sick and had to be airlifted. Also, it does happen from time to time that a passenger dies onboard. Cunard's "QE2" actually has its own mortuary in which a couple of bodies can be kept (remember this ships undertakes world cruises which sometimes are 100 days or more).

Raoul Fiebig

Old 10-17-2005, 12:44 PM

I know from good contacts to crew members, that sometimes up to 5 passengers die on some cruises.

Look at the age of some passengers, 80 and above. So its normal, that there will die somebody. Thats the circle of life, oh that sounds like a song from Elton John.

Best regards
Marita

Old 10-17-2005, 03:10 PM

A ship would not normally make an unscheduled stop if someone passed on, but would do so in a life threatening situation. I suspect that is what happened on the Mariner.

Tom
Old 11-19-2005, 07:09 PM
When I was on the Victory we had to make a stop in, I think it was St. Kitts due to a passenger having a heart attack. Actually we stopped off shore and a tender boat came and got the passenger.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews

Past Cruises:
34 and Counting......
Old 11-20-2005, 01:16 AM

Hey Marita, how was Splendour?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:00 AM

Hey lostcajun,

came back yesterday and we have a terrible snowdesaster here in my hometown. My husband is now trying to get our car out of the garage, but doesnŽt find places for the snow.
It was a wonderful cruise but the end was a catostrophe. We had a thunderstorm and so many rain in Galveston, when we arrived. And nothing was organized for the transfers while having so many rain. We had almost 5 inches water on the street, nobody helped putting the luggages in the busses and we had to change all our clothes when we arrived after a 1 1/2 hour drive to Houston in totally wet clothes in a cold bus at the airport in Houston.
That was really a desaster. Private cars were allowed to stop in front of the terminal but busses stood in a distance to the terminal and we had to walk to the heaviest rain we ever saw.
And now the snow in Germany, but we have electricity oppostite to some other parts a few miles away.
Have much to tell you within the next days and beginning with my review, but first and german and then with help from a friend, crown prince, making the english version for all of you.

So, youŽll hear more from this cruise.

Marita

Old 11-28-2005, 07:22 AM

Thanks Marita,

Wow you both must be exhausted. Take your time, and when you get things in order there, I'd love to discuss Splendour with you.

lostcajun
Old 11-28-2005, 07:37 AM

Marita: welcome back! We had a foot of snow here over the weekend- so unneccessary!

I can just imagine the scene in Galveston. It boggles the mind that they have up to 8 thousand passengers a day coming and going on that tiny street. Am I doing my math right? Two ships on Sunday, two thousand each getting on and another four thousand getting off? The buses were parked haphazardly, with porters trying to jam bags into them in a way that made sense, people standing outside in the heat... and I actually think that is easier than trying to make it to the Enterprise terminal via shuttle bus. Oh well!

Can't wait to read your review.

Carla

Closed Thread

Tags
airlift, carnival, cruise, cruiser, destiny, distance, emergency, location, mariner, miami, passenger, reviews, sea, seas, stop