Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2003, 07:15 AM

Hi - I'm going on a cruise with my 2 sister in June, 2003. Since this cruise was my idea, I want to be sure they have a great time so I'm doing tons of research now. Can anyone give me helpful hints for Ochos Rios (tours you went on that you loved, ones that wre a waste of money, etc.)?

Thanks bunches.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:15 AM

Hi - I'm going on a cruise with my 2 sister in June, 2003. Since this cruise was my idea, I want to be sure they have a great time so I'm doing tons of research now. Can anyone give me helpful hints for Ochos Rios (tours you went on that you loved, ones that wre a waste of money, etc.)?

Thanks bunches.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:53 PM

We've booked with Peat Taylor for our upcoming APril 2003 cruise. He seems to be recommended on this board and others. I found him by doing a google search and he emailed me right back.

Here is his web site and email:

EMAILneiltay@cwjamaica.com

Web address: www.geocities.com/peattaylor/index.htm

I hope it's okay to post this information...

Have fun!
Bobbie
Old 01-23-2003, 07:02 AM

Hi, When I went there a year ago there was a lot of problems there. I decided to book a tour directly with the boat and was extremely happy I did so. We booked the Party Boat to Dunns River Fall. We had a great time. We did however make the mistake to go into town afterwards and boy did we regret it. We seriously should have turned around and gone back to the boat. I have never felt so unsafe in my entire life and I used to live in NYC. No offense to New Yorkers. But as I said before I went during a very unstable time there. Just make sure that if you want to shop do it at another port, they had a very limited selection of anything good. Rememeber just my opinion. Have fun.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:23 PM

Thanks for all the info. Doing lots of research. Will have a good time in Ocho Rios in spite of them.

Thanks again.

Kathy
Old 02-07-2003, 11:37 AM

We did Dunn's River Falls and the Plantation tour. We thought it was very good. I know of a few other people that did the bicycle tour and thoroughly enjoyed that. The shopping was stressful at the market places but at the little mall it wasn't too bad. I hear they have a margaritaville near port now and everyone seems very happy with that, no hassles and feel safe.

Destiny 1999
Victory 03/30/2003 Getting Married!!!
Old 02-28-2003, 08:02 AM

Went to Dunb's River Falls - gorgeous and more challenging than it looks. We also walked around and found the locals to be somewhat aggressive at selling you things but overall we felt reasonably safe. Just don't wander too far on your own.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:05 AM

Just came back and did the Enchanted Gardens/Dunns River Falls Tour which was quite good. This is a very poor country and I would not feel comfortable going around alone,but each person has their own comfort level. Dunns River Falls was great and I thought it looked much more difficult than it actually was. The rocks are NOT slippery, I don't know if someone scrubs them at night(ha-Ha) or what, but that was the amazing part. It was very humid and the water activity was welcome.
Old 04-27-2003, 01:04 PM

definitally do dunns river falls I've heard good things about peat taylors guided tour but since Im 26 and my wife is 20 we wanted to drink see the dunns river falls and drink somemore we did the yacht and dunns river falls tour we saw the falls (advice they tell you to not bring your camera or buy a water proof one , dont listen the guide will hold the camera and not get it wet and take pictures for you, you have to tip him but guess what you tip him anyways at the end so who cares?)After the falls theres snorkling off a reef and diving off the top of the boat. Then theres unlimited drinks (beer, rum punch, coffee, and more beer) then they take you back to the boat worth every penny and my wifes hair goes down past her butt and they braided it all for 20 on the yacht.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:25 PM

We were in Ocho Rios 2 weeks ago and did a tubing excursion which was excellent. They said the bumpy road up to the headwateres was actually the same road used on the 4 wheel drive trips. The river is very refreshing and has 3-4 minor rapids amidst the gentle hour or so glide downstream. The scenery is fabulous and the guides were wonderful.

There was still plenty of time left to climb Dunn's River Falls in the afternoon- after the crowds had dissipated. The falls are easy to do on your own- just catch a cab and pay the entrance fee at the park and tip your guide. Late in the day you should be able to get a "private" guide instead of becoming one of many in the long hand-holding line.

Ocho Rios is one of my favorite ports as long as you stay "close to nature" and away from anything commercial. Unless you want to be hassled DO NOT exit Dunn's River Falls Park through the craft market even though the signs pint that way.

Closed Thread

Tags
ochos, rios