Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/)
-   -   Is Belize safe?? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/36345-belize-safe.html)

mistyhoffmann 01-06-2011 06:19 PM

Is Belize safe??

We are not going to book an excursion in Belize, we were hoping to just relax and shop or find a beach? Is this possible? Do you have to pay to get on the beaches? Can you just get a cab from the port to a beach or to a shopping area? Is it safe to do this??

TIA for any help!

macmom111 01-07-2011 06:25 AM

the tenders will take you right to the shopping areas. no beach that I have seen. dont venture out of the fensed in area, I dont think it is safe to do.
what we do is go to the shopping area, walk around a while and return to the boat. it is not as crowded and you have the pool area almost empty.
when you are entering the Belize waters, go on deck and watch them approaching Belize. the tiny islands are really pretty

Bub 01-07-2011 07:09 AM

This might be the port to book an excursion and have a beach day at another stop. We went to the Mayan ruins with a private company (Smugglers Run Plantation) and enjoyed it very much.

B

alexandra cruiser 02-06-2011 01:56 PM

Agree with above,,,DO book excursion in Belize...

once you leave fenced in Port area,,its not a safe place to wander on your own,,,at least I wouldnt,,,,we booked zip line tour and airboat,,,2 different...and bus took you to area,,,the beaches near the port,,,or should I say,,,lack there of,,,the ocean looked dirty and not a place to swim,,etc....really,,not one of my favorite ports,,,sorry....and just my opinion...

peter l 02-07-2011 01:00 PM

When we were last there, we did the shops in the Port area (about 1 1/2 hours) saw enough, and went back to the ship and enjoyed the pool that day.
Enjoy your cruise.

Peterl

todd ham 02-09-2011 04:27 PM

Didnt care for belize

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexandra cruiser (Post 285313)
once you leave fenced in Port area,,its not a safe place to wander on your own,,,at least I wouldnt,,,,we booked zip line tour and airboat,,,2 different...and bus took you to area,,,the beaches near the port,,,or should I say,,,lack there of,,,the ocean looked dirty and not a place to swim,,etc....really,,not one of my favorite ports,,,sorry....and just my opinion...

didnt care for belize the monment we got on tender, the water was dirty from the start.We went to some beach by speed boat 20 minute away, didnt care for it at all. I couldnt wait to get back to ship. If I was on a ship that stop in belize again, I would not get off the ship.They tryed to sell us weed and any thing else we wanted.

Jim C. 02-10-2011 06:53 AM

Wow... seems like a lot of negativity for Belize. I'd like to offer some counter viewpoints since no one seemed to be in favor of Belize.

While I agree that the city beyond the fenced in area doesn't look spectacular, its not really unsafe. Would I wonder around alone with money hanging out of my pockets? No, but I would do that in my city either. I have left the fence area a couple of times and to be able to do anything beyond shop in the expensive cruise line provided stores in the port area you have to leave the fenced area. Yes, it is a poor country but that doesn't make them all thieves and rapists. I have met some wonderful people in Belize. I have NEVER been offered drugs, so unless you are asking for them, I wouldn't expect that.

The water... yes, the water looks brown and dirty... but realize the port area is at the mouth of the Belize river. So what you are seeing is the tidal effects of the river coming into the ocean. Yes it is dirty looking. No, there are no beaches near where the tenders dock. BUT Belize does offer some of the best diving and snorkeling in the Caribbean. The reason the ships have to tender you ashore there is because they have the worlds second largest barrier reef system. (Might be third, but I am sure it depends on who you ask and how you measure it). Next time you are there, take one of the snorkeling tours. They will pick you up from the ship and take you to the reef. So you don't have to tender in at all. Its amazing. If you are a diver I probably don't have to tell you to take a dive tour. They offer several beach island tours where they took one of the barriers reef islands and converted it to a beach "resort" They are very nice.

If you are not a beach person take a tour (ship provided or book one on your own at the tender dock or on line) They have an amazing cave tubing experience and the have animal parks (monkeys and jungle life) and they have Mayan ruins to see.

Belize is far from the crap hole that the others have painted it to be. I won't get off the ship in Jamaica due to the bad experiences I have had there, but we always go into Belize. Unless your only reason would be to just go to the shopping area in which case, yes you may as well stay on the ship. The merchants in the port area know they have a captured audience because no one ventures outside (not that there are stores to shop at beyond the port area) so they rarely barter at all. If you do go beyond the fence (which is really there to keep the local people from getting the tourist business as it was built by the cruise lines who built the shopping mall) you can find local artists and others you can buy true locally crafted items from.

So don't be so quick to pass the place up.