Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 04:41 AM

Smile Roatan Honduras & Cozumel
we are going on two b2b cruises in april 11 with celebrity, and have booked most of the excursions with celebrity itself, however in roatan honduras we were planning to do a beach day and snorkeling, but the excursions with them for 7 of us (3 adults & 4 teens) is rather expensive at nearly 300 for a day at the beach! is this a place where we can just jump off the ship and find a beach quite easily and safely on our own? as we will have mum with us who has a bit of difficulty walking great distances.
also other than the usual scuba diving, dophins, etc (which we have already booked on other days) are their any must do's here and in cozumel that you could sugest? this is a once in a lifetime trip (as a family) and we want to get as much from everything as we can, so any hints or tips from you would be most appreciated,
many thanks for any help you give.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-12-2011, 11:05 AM

In Roatan you will have to get a taxi to get to the beaches, they are a good distance away. But the goods news is that there are taxis to be had OR you can find a tour guide that will drive you whereever you wish to go for a price. You can find a van/bus that can handle 7 people I am sure. Do a web search on Roatan taxi/tours and you will find some options. For beach choices there are a few. There are also several resorts that you can get a day pass from. I have been to Foster's West Bay a couple of times. The offer a pay one price beah day (and optional snorkeling tours for an extra fee.) You can also get a transportation/beach package from their website. They answer emails.. write to them and ask about what they can offer. Or you can just show up in Roatan, go out of the port entrance and negotiate with a local tour guide to be your transportation for the day (this way you don't have to make a decision until you get there and see what the weather is like) You may get a better price this way, you may not. It depends on your bargaining skills. We got a all day tour taxi for $80 for a family of four. We might have gotten it for less but we thought that was a fair price. The bigger the group the less the per person charge is going to be.

Cozumel- The swim with the Dolphins excursions are popular (although expensive). Just be careful in making sure you book the tour you want, there is the Dolphin Encounter which is you see the dolphins and maybe throw them a fish or 2. Then there is the dolphin swim where you get in the water with them and they interact with you (pull you along.. play fetch etc...) There is a big price difference here also so make sure you know what you are getting. Personally, having been to Cozumel so many times, I don't book anything through the ship. I just walk out to the taxi area and arrange a tour there. There are many resort operators that will have vans waiting trying to get a group to go to their beach resort for a day and you can find goo deals for large groups. Don't be afraid to negotiate a good price.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 01-12-2011, 11:48 AM

Kitten969, Like Jim C states, you can check for tour companies on Roatan and pre book for pick up outside of the terminal...Only problem is that you are required to walk a distance if you are not taking a cruise line tour as they are not permitted within the terminal. If you have a wheel chair that would work, otherwise it is a walk. Nice thing is that you can get a private driver with an air conditioned van for the day for US $175. or perhaps negotiate prior to scheduling. We are considering Victor Bodden Tours when we are there with our group in February. He quoted us $25 per if we are 4 or more. They will take you around the island and then find a place to snorkel as well ...They will wait for you during the day and return you to the ship when you are ready.

Good luck

Peter l

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-12-2011, 01:31 PM

Peter is correct I forgot to warn you on the walk... Out of the RCI/Celebrity port area its not too bad. Maybe 200 meters? Out of the Carnival facility it is a long walk up over a hill, so if someone has walking issues it would be an issue. I thought you said you were to be on Celebrity so I did not mention it.

Victor Bodden is also when known here.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 01-18-2011, 12:03 PM

If you dock at Mahogany Bay in Roatan, you're right near a beach. You can either take the lift or walk across the bridge. If you're docking at the other port, you'll definitely need to find a cab to take you to a beach. They wanted to charge us $85 to go to Tabyana, I didn't ask about Foster's. We found an excursion through NCL for $49/pp to Tabyana, that included lunch, so we took that one. It's a beautiful beach. Mahogany Bay is really nice, too.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:19 PM
We are taking the Flying Chairs to the beach at Mahogany Bay. My wife loves the beach and I don't want to walk!

Tags
bodden, celebrity, cozumel, cruise, dolphin, excursions, experience, honduras, port, price, reviews, roatan, suggestions, swim, tours