Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Default Falmouth, Jamaica?
Does anyone know anything about this port of call? I might go on a cruise which includes this port. I have never been to Jamaica, so I don't know what to expect. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:52 AM

Frase.. you have opened the can of worms now... you are going to hear a bunch of pro and con posts on Jamaica. I have never been to Falmouth but it is fairly close to Montego Bay.

Personally I would never book a cruise because it stopped in Jamaica. Most of the time that is a reason for me NOT to book a particular itinerary. BUT like I said, everyone has their own opinion on Jamaica, so I will let you make your own...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 02-23-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frase View Post
Does anyone know anything about this port of call? I might go on a cruise which includes this port. I have never been to Jamaica, so I don't know what to expect. Thanks in advance for any help.
Frase, not many people have experience yet with the port of Falmouth, since it opened to cruise ships not even a week ago. Here is some information about it with some suggestions for tours at the end of the article.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:42 AM

We love Jamaica as it's a wonderful island around the cruise terminals. We have been there several times and went to a resort for a whole week. You just have to be careful as is the case in every port. Our best friends live in Jamaica and we visit them all the time.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:00 AM
Thank you everyone for your replies.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:52 PM

Default Just visited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frase View Post

I just returned home from the Freedom of the Seas with Royal Caribbean. We docked in Falmouth. Since it's still a new port, there was a large crowd of locals handing out free items and overall, they were very welcoming. It is certainly still under major construction, but it looks like it will be a nice area once it is complete. Who knows when it will be though.

We of course did an excursion, but it was in Ocho Rios so the drive was quite long, about an hour each way. It seems most of the excursions through the ship were actually in Ocho Rios or the surrounding area, so expect a long day. And heed everyone's advice about the locals. But we had some great tour guides and enjoyed our visit to Jamaica. We climbed Dunn's River Falls and had a great time.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:28 AM

Thank you for posting jpark052, we were wondering what Falmouth would be like. It sounds like Ocho Rios is still the main attraction. Montego Bay really didn't offer much, neither did Kingston. I do hope that they will learn from the other ports, but I don't hold a huge amount of confidence. It would be nice if they would build something similar to Roatan, but then you wouldn't get to see much of the island. Jamaica is really a pretty island and most of the locals are great. It's just the few that spoil it for the many.

It will be interesting to hear more as they complete construction.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Isla Passion...
We visited Isla Passion two years ago and loved it, in spite of our bad timing. There had been a tropical storm a few days before we arrived, and the roads were horrible to get there. The taxi literally kept moving back and foth across the road.

We arrived and the beach was covered with sea weed, but they worked hard all day long to clean it up.

The beach is gorgeous, and is the same beach they use to file the Corona Beer commercials.

They also use the Twister boat to get there, and it looks like a lot of fun, if I was a little younger!!

The food was good and served buffet style.

But our next two trips to Coz, we went to Nach Cocum instead and much prefer it. For the same price we got all inclusive with a swimming pool, all you can drink, full meal, etc.

PREVIOUS CRUISES

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Elation (1) Feb. 12, 2011
Carnival Triumph (2) March 13, 2010; Oct. 16, 2010
Carrnival Fantasy (4) Oct. 15, 2007; Oct 27, 2008; March 2, 2009; Nov. 11, 2009
Carnival Holiday (2) Dec. 27, 2007 & Dec. 31, 2007
NCL Sun (1) on March 11, 2007
Carnival Glory (1) Sept. 16, 2006
Carnival Celebration (2) Dec. 31, 2005; March 20, 2006
Carnivall Conquest (1) Oct 9-16, 2005
Old 07-02-2011, 06:18 PM

I love Jamaica and have sailed there three times on RCCL. Course' all of them have been to Ochos Rios, but I personally am looking forward to the opportunity to sail in to Falmouth. I have climbed the falls, been to Fern Gully, eating local Jamaican Jerk chicken at Scothies and did some shopping. I don't go to Jamaica without my favorite tour guide Phil Lafayette. Don't just take my word for it check out his website and read all the wonderful things people are saying about him and his daughter. Trust me after being with them three times I can tell you they are all true. Tell'em I said hello will ya? LOL!
Old 08-01-2011, 12:16 AM

Now that it's been awhile since the Port in Falmouth has been open, maybe I can get some information about what to do while in Port. I would like to do a Catamaran excursion, but I would need some advice before deciding that.

Tags
call, caribbean, cruise, curise, fallmouth, falmouth, forum, freedom, good, jamaica, open, port, review, reviews, royal