Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/)
-   -   Buying Vanilla in Cozumel (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/36660-buying-vanilla-cozumel.html)

Frase 03-06-2011 12:20 AM

Buying Vanilla in Cozumel

I was wondering if anyone here has purchased Vanilla while in Cozumel (or anywhere else in Mexico)? I have heard stories both for and against buying vanilla in Cozumel (or elsewhere in Mexico). So, I wonder if any of you have purchased vanilla while in Cozumel; and if so, would have any reccomendations on where to buy it and what brand name?

alexandra cruiser 03-06-2011 07:26 AM

I d pass on it,,,too much hassle and

heard not much ,,or any,,,difference in buying similar at home...passengers who bought it in glass,,had problem with breakage,,packing,,etc...see you re also from Orlando,,,just save yourself time and money and buy at Publix,,hahaha,,,just my opinion,of course...

papa60 03-06-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frase (Post 286051)
I was wondering if anyone here has purchased Vanilla while in Cozumel (or anywhere else in Mexico)? I have heard stories both for and against buying vanilla in Cozumel (or elsewhere in Mexico). So, I wonder if any of you have purchased vanilla while in Cozumel; and if so, would have any reccomendations on where to buy it and what brand name?

I saw 2 prices in both Cozumel and Costa Maya. $5.99 and $7.99 I'm not sure the ounces but they were all big bottles. My wife tells me it was a super deal. Many people were buying it.
Papa

peter l 03-06-2011 10:00 AM

Papa58, I can't remember, but weren't you cruising the same time as us ( 2/19) and on Princess?

Peterl

papa60 03-06-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter l (Post 286062)
Papa58, I can't remember, but weren't you cruising the same time as us ( 2/19) and on Princess?

Peterl

Hi Peter,
I was on the Dream on 2/19.
Papa

Jim C. 03-06-2011 01:53 PM

I always buy vanilla if we are not flying to/from the port. It is an awesome deal. You can find it in any of the liquor stores or even most of the gift stores through out Cozumel. You can get a quart bottle for less than $10 versus a couple of ounces here at home.

peter l 03-06-2011 02:40 PM

OK, I thought I had remembered you cruising the same time; I thought you were on the same ship...Great cruise for us, and glad to have been out of the cold and snow here in the the NE...Hope you enjoyed your cruise.

Peterl

Frase 03-06-2011 07:39 PM

Thank you all for your replies.
I heard good things about the vanilla sold at the "Los Cinco Soles" stores in Cozumel. I also heard good things about a brand of vanilla called "Xel-Ha" (I don't know how you would pronounce that). I also heard good things about a brand of vanilla called "Azteca" and "Molino Real" (I hope they are spelled correctly).
However, on the flip-side I heard people say bad things about Mexican vanilla. I heard people say you have to be careful because there is allot of fake Mexican vanilla. And that the fake Mexican vanilla contains an extract called "Coumarin" which is both an anti-coagulant and causes cancer. I heard someone say that they would never buy Mexican vanilla due to the risk of getting the fake stuff containing the Coumarin.
So, I don't know what to believe. I guess I should just be careful and deal only with a reputable source when purchasing vanilla in Mexico.

Dwayne 03-06-2011 08:01 PM

I'm not certain if they have vanilla, but I've always found Viva Mexico to be a reputable store on Cozumel.

Frase 03-06-2011 10:58 PM

Thank you Dwayne. I will look for Viva Mexico if I ever go to Cozumel.