Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 07:04 AM

Default rotan excursion
So we are thinking of doing the canopy & Gumbalina park excursion. My kids are 12 and 14. Has anyone done this excursion befor? Did you like it? We thought it would be fun to go ziplining but now that I'm reading about the montego bay beach and chair lift I'm starting to wonder if we made the right choice. Please give me your opinion, my kids are looking for adventure. We are trying to hit as many different experiences as possible. We are horse back riding in cozumel, Scuba diving in Belize and rented rino jeeps in costa maya that bring us to a couple beaches. Plus we'll be at cocoa beach for a week befor the cruise. Would you choose the beach or zipline/gumbalina park experience.

Read and post cruise reviews

Last edited by tttrrr; 04-04-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:28 AM

We have done the zip line in Roatan but we did this on our own and not through the ship. You have to go outside the cruise terminal and find a taxi or driver that will take you there. The cost of doing it this way can be much less than booking through the ship. If you negotiate the driver for the day, you can go other places as well. Your 12 and 14 year old will love it. We had a great time. Don't pass it up based about something you read about for Jamaica.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 04-04-2011, 10:45 AM

ooppss! sorry I meant the chair lift you can take to the beach in rotan or the zipline. I accidently said montego bay.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:24 PM

ttt/rrr, you could be disappointed with doing the chairlift at Roatan if your ship is unable to port their as our Princess ship was in February due to rough seas. In that case you would have to go to Coxen Hole as we did. We were a party of 8 and we booked a private tour with Victor Bodden at a reasonable price per person that included a van and driver for the day at our leisure to tour the island...5 of our 8 had pre opted to do the zip line at Victor's and enjoyed it..After the zip line we also did the monkey farm that is located there. After that we still had time to do some of the island and enjoyed the West End before returning to the ship. Either way, enjoy your time on Roatan.

Peterl

Old 04-05-2011, 07:18 AM

If you are able to port in Mahogany Bay, the chair lift simply takes you from the terminal area to the beach area. There was a huge line waiting when we were there last May, so we just walked. Mahogany Bay is a very nice area, plenty of chairs and umbrellas, a couple of restaurants/bars, volleyball, beach area w/snorkeling, restrooms and fresh water showers. The terminal area had shops with a Fat Tuesdays and a gelato stand.

If you do have to go to Coxen Hole as peter l stated, you'll need to get a taxi to a beach area or anywhere else. There are stores there, but not much else. We walked outside the terminal area after we returned from Tabyana Beach. The prices were much better than inside the terminal area. The locals are very friendly and we did not feel uncomfortable at all. Jamaica, I wouldn't be so adventurous.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:39 AM

Default Roatan is safe and friendly have no fear
Roatan is great for these experiences and you should go venture a bit, the only reason you should think is time saving. People seem to like the zip and dip. I dont know what you mean by chairlift to the beach ???
Old 05-01-2011, 05:23 AM

Landed, as Penny and I stated, if you are on a Princess or Carnival, they use the new Mahogany Bay cruuise terminal unless it is to rough or high winds, which in that case have to use Coxen Hole. That is what happened to us in February of this year. At Mahogany, there is a new chair lift that will take you back and forth to the beach area rather than walk, which is really not all that far.

Peterl

Tags
beach, chair, cocoa, excursionswhy, isla, jeeps, kids, lift, line, lines, lining, post, pre, researve, review, rinos, roatan, rotan, zip