Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Default Read This Before Renting A Vehicle On Cozumel
Read this story and then ask yourself if it is safe for a tourist to rent a jeep on Cozumel. It may have been a scam run on the pastor, or it may have be legitimately an accident. Regardless, the outcome was not something I'd like to do.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:36 PM

What an amazing story. Personally I would not drive on Cozumel. Scares the wits out of me just riding in the taxis.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:30 PM

I would not drive or recommend anyone to drive a car in Cozumel. Traffic laws in Cozumel are just a suggestion. I hate even riding a taxi in Cozumel. it is just crazy.
On one of our stops in cozumel the people at our table rented a car and was stopped by police for speeding, they said they knew they were not speeding, but he said he had to take them to jail to pay the fine. he told them to follow him. few minutes later he stopped told them they were speeding and they could just pay the fine to him, they refused the police told them to follow him again, he did this 3 times. they refused to pay the fine to him
he finally let them go.
I wonder if this man was really the police. I prefer to stay around the populated areas now. We are not in Kansas anymore when we travel. I always considered Cozumel safe, maybe it isn t as safe as I believed.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:13 AM

We rented a scooter in Cozumel and had a blast. However, we paid their "insurance" fee. It ended up costing us over $100 to rent the scooter, but I have heard too many stories of "accidents" on purpose. I truly believe since we paid them some schill money, we were held harmless. I don't recommend renting vehicles, but I do have to say, it was something I'd like to do again. I will definitely take out EVERYTHING they ask for though.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:11 AM

There has been a lot of dicussions about the pastor and his review on 2 other sites I have read. Personally not sure he was giving all the facts and being objective. After all the accident was his fault. Consider how many cars are rented on a daily basis and how many negative reviews are posted. Sure there are police that will pull you over for no reason trying to get you to pay a fine directly to them. If you stand firm about going to the station to pay it they mostly will just let you go.

I rented twice last year with no problems and am renting again next month for 2 wks. I always follow these rules.

1. Rent from a company that I trust with great reviews.
2. Always get the insurance
3. Don't speed and obey all the laws
4. Don't drink and drive
Old 04-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmom111 View Post
I would not drive or recommend anyone to drive a car in Cozumel. Traffic laws in Cozumel are just a suggestion. I hate even riding a taxi in Cozumel. it is just crazy.
On one of our stops in cozumel the people at our table rented a car and was stopped by police for speeding, they said they knew they were not speeding, but he said he had to take them to jail to pay the fine. he told them to follow him. few minutes later he stopped told them they were speeding and they could just pay the fine to him, they refused the police told them to follow him again, he did this 3 times. they refused to pay the fine to him
he finally let them go.
I wonder if this man was really the police. I prefer to stay around the populated areas now. We are not in Kansas anymore when we travel. I always considered Cozumel safe, maybe it isn t as safe as I believed.
I have read some scary reports about Mexican police. One would hope they could trust the ports of call the cruise ships visit in Mexico. Maybe it's time to rethink Mexico. I would be interested in how my fellow cruisers feel about this subject.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:25 AM
I think the story is true, my sister studied in mexico (MD) and As I remember she told me many stories about the Police, bribes and this kind of things so for all I know I probably re think Conzumel...If I were a cruise line
Old 04-19-2011, 06:58 AM

Papa58, how about starting a thread in the Lido deck. I am sure there will be loads of opinions. Mexico is definitely having security problems and police activities have always been controversial. I think we could get a lively discussion going
Old 04-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Hi Penny,
I tried to post on lido, but for some reason it wouldn't post. I will try again later.
Papa

Tags
accident, car, cozumel, laws, mexico, priest, rent, renting, reviews, safe, scam, scams, traffic, travel, vehicle