Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/)
-   -   Belize excursions (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/37142-belize-excursions.html)

chefshaun 06-23-2011 09:11 PM

Belize excursions

My future wife and I are going on our first cruise in late November. One of our ports will be Belize. Do any of you have some recommendations? My fiance can not swim and is afraid of water deeper than chest deep. I hear a lot of people say the cave tubing is a must but would you recommend it for a person afraid of deep water? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

penny3333 06-24-2011 10:40 AM

What a shame, the snorkeling in Belize is some of the finest in the Caribbean. We did a great excursion the last time we were there. It took us by boat to the reef, then to a really nice private island (Bannister). Cave tubing should be ok for her, she's in a tube, so she'll be floating. There will be a guide and everyone will be together. Do you think she would take swimming lessons? Really for snorkeling all you have to do is float and she would have on a snorkeling vest (life jacket) that she could inflate. The water ranges from 6" to 30-35' deep. Oh my, she'll be amazed at how beautiful it is. There are so many colorful fish and beautiful coral. But, I don't want her to be scared. Of course, that might be a good thing, she'd be hanging on to you:)

alexandra cruiser 06-30-2011 01:35 PM

I took the airboat tour,,while hubby went scuba diving

and he thought water was not very clear,and saw few fish,,so I had better time,I think..nice bus ride to see inland sites for 1 hr...very poor area,,but scenic..then over 1 hrs.in airboat,,not scary at all..good for all ages,,,and dont have to swim,,can wear life preserver too..
But,DO PLAN on some excursion,,not a safe place to wander on own,,,cruise port is completey fenced and not able to get in without cruise ID...has shops,etc..but town is very sad...

moricoman 09-15-2011 09:33 AM

Belize Excursions

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefshaun (Post 288847)
My future wife and I are going on our first cruise in late November. One of our ports will be Belize. Do any of you have some recommendations? My fiance can not swim and is afraid of water deeper than chest deep. I hear a lot of people say the cave tubing is a must but would you recommend it for a person afraid of deep water? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

I personally wouldn't do cave tubing or recommend it if someone is afraid of water. Another incredible tour in Belize is Lamanai Mayan Ruins, you will experience so much of Belize, we saw crocodiles, howler monkeys and these massive blue butterflies. The ruins are incredible, and getting there is half the fun.

There is also a canopy zipline tour, no water involved in that one either

Jim C. 09-16-2011 01:58 PM

Or afraid of the dark. But combine the two... floating in the water through a completely dark cave and its equally scary. My wife did not like it at all....

BeadBabe 10-04-2011 01:31 PM

Belize or Bust!

The Lamani ruins excursion is wonderful, but an ALL DAY TRIP. It includes a 45 minute bus ride to the river, and then about an hour boat ride to the ruins. The river boat ride is a wonderful part of the trip as you will see lots of wildlife including birds, monkeys and we even saw a croc! This is an incredible day into the ancient Mayan history. The tallest pyramid in Lamani is climbable and is the tallest point in Belize with a fantastic view!

The Altun Ha ruins are closer in and will just require a 45 minute bus ride. You can often combine this with a trip to the Belize Zoo. These ruins are more excavated than Lamani and far more "organized", but I prefer the more rustic experience of Lamani. However Altun Ha will only take up part of your day. The Zoo is nice and in a very natural setting. They have live jaguars which the Mayans consider a great good omen if you see a live one.

I would not recommend cave tubing for anyone afraid of water. Depending on how high the river is and how fast it's running, the tubes can move along pretty quickly. I was there in May and the river was so low it was a lazy river. But I've also been there when the water was rushing and it was like "white water rafting". As posted earlier, it's also VERY DARK in spots. Also, there are zillions of tiny minnows in little pockets here and there. Now I don't mind, but someone afraid of water may be unnerved by being surrounded by the lil fishes that love to bump you and see if there might be a tasty morsel nearby. THEY DO NOT BITE! But they do bump into your legs and butt that is dangling in the water.

I always use the same tour company when I come to Belize. If you want the name, let me know. They have a website and have all kinds of fun things to do in Belize with an English speaking knowledgeable guide and an air conditioned vehicle.

hammock_travels 10-10-2011 10:08 AM

I would not recommend the tubing cave tour for someone who is uncomfortable in the water. Although you are in a tube and it involves little swimming, it is very dark and there are times where you get stuck and have to push yourself along or even get out to continue. However I would recommend visiting the ruins 100%, they are awesome.

jerseygirl74 10-11-2011 06:15 PM

I really enjoyed the cave tubing...however, I couldn't get out of the tube at the end...so my son had to come back in the water and flip me out of it...almost ended up going downstream with another group (from another cruise line)!

Definitely not for someone afraid of water...

Van Beach 11-11-2011 09:23 AM

I do not like deep water either. However, I did try snorkeling. I wore a vest and I was amazed at how you float in salt water. It was amazing to see the fish and how clear the water is. I only made about 15 minutes before I saw the rope that held the boat in place and it looked like it was 100 feet long - I freaked out a little and swam back the boat. But it was still fun! I have also done the cave tubing. I was not afraid of the water because you have to wear a life jacket but it was so uncomfortable laying on the tubes - I would not do it again. The ruins sound interesting and that is what I would do if we go back to Belize. I would highly recommend planning your excursion in Belize with the cruise line. We went with an independent company to cave tube and we ran late coming back to the ship. We made it in time but all I could think about is if the bus (which was quite run down) broke down we would be - you know what. They kept joking that they would drive us to Cozumel - not funny. The bus ride is long and bumpy and not very scenic. Have fun!

penny3333 11-11-2011 12:14 PM

Van Beach, I'm glad you gave snorkeling a try. It is so absolutely beautiful!