Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 12:23 PM

Default Alternatives to excursions in Cozumel
The Carnival excursions are a bit pricey for a groupd of seven ($100 submarine, $100 zip line, diving). Is it more economical to seek out these excursions onshore?

Thanks
Old 07-04-2011, 07:08 AM

Exclamation Yes, you can do these on own,,,BUT
do research ahead of time,,get price and DO NOT pay before trip,,many pay and then no one there to meet them,,,or pay before and get poor trip,,etc....so ask for referrences and check them out...then,,,you can always buy from street hawkers types,,but again,,BEWARE....also,,if you go on own,,and dont get back to ship in time,they WILL SAIL without you,,,have seen this happen on 2 occasions,,in 15 or so cruises,,,
Another thing,,just do on own,,get taxi,,see island by bus,go to beach club..etc...but if you really want to zip line,,etc...ship excursions may be best bet,,for above reasons...a lot to consider,,,but you WILL have fun,,regardless
Old 07-04-2011, 11:10 AM

I have been to Cozumel lots of times and I feel that it is a safe place to explore on your own. a lot depends on what you want to do. We go to Chanacanob. it is a beautiful beach and the snorkeling is very nice there. it is a 15 dollar van taxi ride there ( all of you can fit in the van) and i think 19 to get in the park, but it is beautiful, they have a kids pool area, and if you want to swim with the dolphins it is an extra price. you may want to check it out.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:08 AM

We were in Cozumel with 5-6 other cruise ships -- We were docked at the new pier so had to take a taxi into town. Walked around, had lunch, and taxi back to the ship.

We're going on a cruise later this month and stopping again in Cozumel. My current thinking is to rent a car for the day and explore the island. Cost for rental car at the airport (Budget) is around $29.00.

Anybody else done this?

Cruise line excursions are very costly, and I feel it's better to do it on your own.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:39 AM

this is just my opinion, but here goes. I WOULD NEVER EVER DRIVE IN COZUMEL, traffic laws are just a suggestion. I hate even riding in taxis in Cozumel. I have heard of police shaking down people for bribes when on the other side of the island.
Do your research.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:45 AM

We've rented a scooter in Cozumel, once. We bought their "insurance" to insure we were not railroaded. Dave posted a link to an article about a preacher that was jailed in Cozumel for a "fake" accident when they rented a jeep. If you're going to rent a vehicle, make sure you purchase any and all insurance policies they own. This is a foreign country and our laws do not exist. Fairness/trials/legality are only suggestions and followed only by those that want to.

That being said, there is plenty to do in Cozumel on your own. Chankanaab, Paradise, the Money Bar, Nachi CoCom, etc., can be accessed by taxi. Some charge entrance fees, some charge cover charges, but all are easy to research on the internet.

Just be sure you are back to the ship in plenty of time. If you're not on a ship's excursion, they will NOT wait and it is your responsibility to catch up to the ship. If Cozumel is your last port of call, you'll miss out the last few days on board because your next port of call will be your embarkation port. I'm not trying to scare you, but just stating facts. I've seen far too many standing on shore while the ship is underway.

Just be safe and make sure you've done your research on any port before trying to do it on your own. Also, make sure you speak the native language. Although many people in Cozumel speak English, many do not.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:59 AM

that was very well said Penny. One of my ah ah favorite things to do while leaving a port is watch people run to catch the ship. I almost always happens. I have never had to run for a ship, I give myself PLENTY of time to get back to the ship, it is just not worth it.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Has anyone ever done the San Gervaisio Ruins on the Island? There is supposed to be 8 ships in port, with one of them being the Allure ~ I'm concerned the excursion to Tulum or Coba might be overrun with all the other passengers ? Would it be worth it to do a ships beach excursion which gives one a chair and umbrella and lunch to avoid the crowds?
Old 07-05-2011, 02:29 PM

Susanmaz, check out The Money Bar. It's got decent snorkeling, a nice beach, food/drink, chairs/umbrellas, and not well known. There are some YouTube videos on it. Dzul-ha is what it was called, now it's the Money Bar. That might be a viable alternative.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmaz View Post
Has anyone ever done the San Gervaisio Ruins on the Island?
Not worth it in my view. San Gervasio is not even close to the grandeur of the ruins on the mainland. When we went there the place was also overrun with mosquitoes. A hint came when the tour leader handed us each our own can of insect repellent as we left the bus.

Tags
allure, beach, caribbean, carnival, cozumel, excursio, excursion, excursions, forum, leaves, port, reviews, royal, ship, things