Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 04:56 PM

Red face Southern Caribbean
My family of 5 is going to the Southern Caribbean in August with the Serenade of the Seas - Royal Caribbean International. We'll be going to St Thomas, St Kitts, Aruba, and Curacao. Any suggestions on excursions? My mother is 76, husband and I are late 40's, daughter 15, and son 12. Also, does anyone know if the Serenade has a good teenage program. My daughter hasn't been able to find any info on this and she's freaking out.
Thanks.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:21 AM

hi carlyn, welcome to CruiseReviews! Congratulations on your up-coming cruise! RCI has a great program for teens, they also have plenty for them to do on board. There's the rock wall, the pools, basketball/volleyball courts, and video games.

The southern Caribbean has some of my favorite ports. Not sure what y'all enjoy, so I'll just mention some of the places I enjoy in your ports. St. Thomas, we usually take the ferry over to St. Johns and go to Trunk Bay. Trunk Bay is one of the top 10 beaches in the world. There is a self-guided snorkel trail about 50 yards from shore and they have all the ammenities you need, including lockers. If you want to stay on St. Thomas, Megan's Bay and Coki Beach are two of my favorites. There's also great shopping in St. Thomas, especially jewelry and liquor. St. Kitts, I enjoyed the visit to the fort and the Batik factory. The snorkeling there is not that good, but the island is very pretty. Aruba is a very flat island, so not much sight-seeing. However, great beaches and clubs. The last time we were there, we took a cab to Palm Beach. It was about a 20 minute ride, they had a pier with a restaurant/bar, chairs and umbrellas for rent, water toys, showers, restrooms. It was a great way to spend the day. Curacao has some decent snorkeling, but the main attractions there are the colorful houses, shopping, and the Curacao factory. I've done an island tour through the ship, a couple of snorkeling trips through the ship, and just taken the ferry across to do shopping. There are quite a few restaurants/bars right where you dock, with a beautiful view and friendly locals. Oddly enough, I've never gone to a beach in Curacao, so I'm not sure if there are some great ones or not.

I think your daughter will be so busy, she won't have time to freak out. I really believe her main problem will be fitting everything in

Please let us know what your interests are and we'll do our best to fill you in on excursions. Just be warned, cruising is addictive!!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:36 AM

Smile
Hi Carlyn and welcome ! I can exactly ditto Penny's comments having done some of the same excursions of the islands. In Curacao we snorkled a sunken boat and the fish were many and varied in color..This also included a nice ride around the area with explanations by the crew prior to our snorkle. Taking the bus ride from ship to marina also afforded a nice tour of part of the island. Megan's Bay by taxi is an easy ride and Mom would probably enjoy this as there is some shad and the bay is calm..Not much in way of fish. Trunk Bay has my vote on best/most fish to see.
Enjoy your cruise. The kids can easily be kept busy on RCI ships.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-15-2011, 05:18 PM

Welcome to Cruise Reviews! St. Kitts is one of our favorite ports. We have been on the train trip twice and really enjoyed it. Not only do you see a lot of the island, but you are entertained by singers, are served cookies and beverages, and many times the islanders will come out of their homes to wave as you go by. It's a fun, relaxing way to spend a few hours.

We have also been to the fort and that is interesting and a neat place to visit. I will warn you that there is quite an uphill walk to get to the fort. You can see some beautiful vistas from the place where tour buses drop you off, but to actually see the inside of the fort will take some uphill walking. If you are able to do this, it's worth it!

Have fun planning your trip!

Nadine

Tags
aruba, caribbean, carnival, celebrity, cruise, curacao, excursions, kitts, liquor, port, review, reviews, shopping, snorkel, southern, spirit, st