Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 09:27 PM

Default Antigua and St. Maarten excursion ideas please
We will be in Antigua and St. Maarten in December and would like to book excursions for our family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teens) at these ports. Celebrity's excursions don't seem too exciting or are too pricey. Any companies that you can recommend that you have used for fun excursions? We snorkel a bit but don't scuba dive. I appreciate any suggestions!!!

Read and post cruise reviews

Norwegian Jewel 2009
Norwegian Dawn 2007
Old 10-18-2011, 08:27 AM

We did an excursion twice in St. Martin that we loved, and we did book in through the ship.

It's the 12 meter yacht race. You go on one of two America's Cup type sailboats, everyone who wants a job is assigned a job (I was winding the lines on one of the winches), and the two boats race. It's very exciting and fun, and the captain of each boat takes these races seriously!

If you like to sail and like an exciting time of it, look into this excursion.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:17 PM

Sandy, we will be in St. Martin in February. Have been there three times, but have never done the yacht race. Now, that sounds like fun! I'm going to see if RCCL offers it.

We did the Segways with our grown kids at St. Martin and that was a lot of fun. But, I think it is kind of pricey. It is, however, a fun memory for us.

Nadine
Old 10-18-2011, 02:07 PM

Nadine, I've never been on a Segway. Maybe that's what I'll have to try my next time there!
Old 10-18-2011, 06:31 PM

Sandy, we are retired and took our three grown kids and their spouses on a cruise. All eight of us did the Segways and had a blast. Hope you get a chance to try them some time.

Nadine
Old 10-19-2011, 01:50 PM

In St. Maarten, we did the TikiHut excursion. The operators were fantastic and the best part was you could stay as long as you like. They picked us up and took us to their dock. If you needed snorkeling instructions, they would give them to you. They had a pool like area where you could practice. The snorkeling was very good. There was a restaurant/bar area. We booked through the ship, but it wasn't very expensive. They would also bring you back to the ship or take you to the shopping area where you could catch the water ferry back to the ship. Here is the link http://www.snorkelstmaarten.com/about.htm They cannot book independently if it is offered through the ship, but if it isn't offered, they can take you independently.

In Antigua, we walked out of the terminal area and there were a bunch of local tour guides waiting. We paid $25/pp and he took us all over the island. After a few stops, he took us to a nice beach with a restaurant/bar and let us stay for a couple of hours, then took us back to the ship. It was a great tour. We also did a snorkeling tour through the ship, but I wasn't really impressed with the snorkeling, way too many jelly fish. It may have been the time of year (October), but when we went back, I didn't want to try it again, so we took the tour.

Last edited by penny3333; 10-19-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the ideas. We are looking at doing the Segway tour of Antigua even though it is pricey. Our teens think it will be a blast and none of us have ever done it.
But I am open to any other ideas that you can suggest...

In St Maarten we will likely do an island tour that includes some beach time as we want to see both sides of the island.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Norwegian Jewel 2009
Norwegian Dawn 2007
Old 11-04-2011, 10:53 AM

Just to let you know, Orient Beach (French side) has a clothing optional section and they do not stay in their area. Just in case you don't want your children to see that. Most that do not wear clothing, should
Old 11-13-2011, 03:03 PM

Thanks penny3333 for the heads up! Good to know!

Norwegian Jewel 2009
Norwegian Dawn 2007
Old 12-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Default traffic in St Maarten
If you are stopping at Philipsburg on the Dutch side of St Maarten and hiring a taxi to get around independently then allow yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship. Sometimes the road can get clogged up with cars and takes alot longer than some of the times suggested in various guides. Having made my first trip to the island I was surprised how slow the traffic was when making my way to one of the beaches. Allow plenty of time to return to the the ship before it departs. The last thing you want to do is get stressed out as to whether your taxi will make it back to the ship in time.

Tags
antigua, antiiqua, celebrity, cruise, cruse, dawn, excursions, february, maarten, martin, norwegian, review, reviews, st, stmaartenexcursionreviews