Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 07:21 PM

Hi again- we have decided that we will definitely be heading to Trunk Bay on our stop in St. Thomas- I can't wait! I have just a few more questions...

Does the ship dock at Havensight? And is this the same as Charlotte Amelie? If so, would we be better off taking the ferry from Charlotte Amelie to St. John's/Cruz Bay (rather than taking a taxi to Red Hook and catching the ferry there)? It seems to me that the overall time would be the same, and the taxi for 4 of us would be rather expensive (vs. a slightly higher ferry rate).

Also, once at St. John's, how long is the taxi ride from the ferry dock to Trunk Bay?

Is it possible to rent snorkel equipment at Trunk Bay?

Thanks again for everyone's help- I am so looking forward to this trip!
Old 06-25-2009, 07:21 PM

Hi again- we have decided that we will definitely be heading to Trunk Bay on our stop in St. Thomas- I can't wait! I have just a few more questions...

Does the ship dock at Havensight? And is this the same as Charlotte Amelie? If so, would we be better off taking the ferry from Charlotte Amelie to St. John's/Cruz Bay (rather than taking a taxi to Red Hook and catching the ferry there)? It seems to me that the overall time would be the same, and the taxi for 4 of us would be rather expensive (vs. a slightly higher ferry rate).

Also, once at St. John's, how long is the taxi ride from the ferry dock to Trunk Bay?

Is it possible to rent snorkel equipment at Trunk Bay?

Thanks again for everyone's help- I am so looking forward to this trip!
Old 06-26-2009, 08:02 AM

I am so glad you're going to Trunk Bay, it is totally awesome! Yes you can catch the water ferry to Trunk Bay from Havensight, which is the name of the port, Charlotte Amalie is the name of the city. It's about a mile into the city from Havensight. Which is where Carnival usually docks. However, they have built another port (Crown Bay-something like that) at the other end of the town. There are shuttles to take you into town and I think they were $4/ea. I know the water taxi/ferry from Red Hook is punctual. I have come back into Charlotte, but tried to leave from there twice and the ferry didn't show up. Once we had just missed it, so we caught a cab to Red Hook. I know the ferry does run from there, but I don't know that the schedule is adhered to as well as it is in Red Hook. It never hurts to try it though. The ride from the dock in St. John to Trunk Bay is about 10 -15 minutes. Bring a camera, they will stop and let you take some breathtaking pictures along the way. I like St. John much better than St. Thomas, it's a much cleaner island. It's more like what St. Thomas used to be before everyone and their brother moved there.

There is a rental place in Trunk Bay, there are also a couple of shops (shop in St. Thomas-it's really more expensive in St. John), there are lockers, fresh water showers, restrooms, and a place to get some food and something to drink. We bring our own equipment, so I can't tell you what the rates are, sorry. The snorkel trail is about 50 yards from the shore, it is self-guided and once you're in the water you won't want to come out. It is absolutely perfect (unless there's a storm), crystal clear, warm and calm.

Guess you can't tell I love Trunk Bay
Old 06-26-2009, 10:06 AM

Penny- it sounds like you need to go back there soon to give it another chance and see if you really like it! Purely for research, of course!

Thanks again for your help!
Old 06-26-2009, 11:56 AM

Might just give it a try in December
Old 06-27-2009, 04:45 AM

Maureen, whatever Penny said just double it for me. We were really impressed with our visit to Trunk Bay a few years ago and with the self guided snorkel. Lots to see ! Enjoy - just don't miss it.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-28-2009, 06:00 AM

Triple it for me! I love Trunk Bay!

I actually finished the snorkel trail the last time and went around the little island.

Jim C. wrote a great addition to the FAQ's about getting to Trunk Bay. Here is a link.

Dwayne
Old 07-01-2009, 11:31 AM

We tried Cinnamon Bay this trip. This is the next bay further up on St John from Trunk Bay. Very nice there too and not at crowded (everyone goes to trunk bay) I updated my FAQ from information I got this trip on the public bus service.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 07-01-2009, 11:51 AM

quote:
We tried Cinnamon Bay this trip. This is the next bay further up on St John from Trunk Bay. Very nice there too and not at crowded (everyone goes to trunk bay) I updated my FAQ from information I got this trip on the public bus service.

I am so glad you mentioned Cinnamon Bay! I have been wanting to try it since I've already been to Trunk Bay so many times. Maybe I should start a Cinnamon Bay thread. I sure could use some info and help.

Dwayne
Old 07-01-2009, 01:20 PM

Was the snorkeling as good, Jim?

Closed Thread

Tags
amalie, bay, carnival, charlotte, cruise, ferry, john, johns, private, reviews, st, taxi, thomas, tours, trunk, warer