Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 05:52 PM

Question Costa Maya
Will be in Costa Maya with NCL later this month. So--for this stop if I want to sit in an umbrella and watch my kids swim, what is the best way to do that? Do we really need to book a "Beach Getaway" with mixed reviews in advance? Or are there bars/establishments where we can just pay when we get there?

I am a total newb! Thanks for your help in advance!
Old 12-02-2011, 05:52 PM

Actually in Costa Maya there is a large swimming pool in the middle of the shopping area. You can sit at a table under an umbrella and let your kids swim in the pool. There is a beach there also but we never left the shopping area. The beaches along that coast are amazing.. it would be worth doing the beach day thing. Look into booking something on your own, they can be had for a lot less then booking with the ship. You might even just be able to take a taxi to a beach.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 12-04-2011, 01:36 PM

Wink I would stick to shopping area,,,or book with ship
due to area outside of it....sorry,,,looks rough and would not feel very safe wandering around,,,,or even taking taxi to a beach...we took a bus tour with ship and glad we did...or would have stayed in the protected dock area,,,which was very nice...just my opinion,of course,,but there last Nov. and majority of passengers did ships tours...
Old 02-23-2012, 06:07 AM

This is a new stop and it is not really built up too much. At the end of the pier there is a circular shopping area with large saltwater pool and swim up bar. We were told that you needed to take a cab to get to the beach. This did just fine, the shops were sufficient and the pool was not overly crowded. The water can be a little cold, though.

If I went back, I wouldn't get off the ship.

Carnival Triumph - Spring Break Cruise - 2006
Carnival Victory - Birthday/Summer Cruise - 2007
Oasis of the Seas - Group Cruise - 2010
Old 02-28-2012, 10:58 AM

We went to the Tropicante in Mahahual when we were there last. The owner is from the states. There are chairs on the beach as well as loungers. His staff waits on you hand and foot. The drinks are very reasonably priced and the food is good. The beach is great and the reef is close enough to the shore for some good snorkeling. The outside area may look "rough" but it is because it is a fishing village. It is very laid back and everyone is very accomodating. There was a place to rent bicycles, golf carts, water toys, etc. It's one of my favorite ports. I enjoy going outside of the port because it's not commercialized. Prices are much better, too.

Tags
beach, cost, costa, cruise, forum, kids, maya, ncl, ownership, pool, port, pretty, review, reviews, shopping, swimming