Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 05:43 AM

Default I need ideas for grand caymans and jamacia
we leave in a month on the valor for Grand Caymans and Jamacia and key west, We have been there before, we snorkeled at Grand Caymans and didnt get off the ship in Jamacia. Now we have our hubbys with us and want to do something different and dont mind too much getting off the ship in Jamacia. We kinda wanted to swim with the dolphins in Grand Caymans but we have not made that decision yet.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:33 AM

Smile
The last time we were in the Grand Caymen, we went on a sting ray snorkel trip with a company that is so much better than the ones offered by the ships and had the best time ever. It was on a large cat and we did a second stop and the ride was worth the price in of itself. We have also done just a beach day when we were there previously and it was very relaxing and sooo inexpensive as you can do it on your own. In Jamaica we have done the falls at Dunns River and also a tour of the island and enjoyed both.
Enjoy your cruise !

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-26-2011, 07:29 PM

The only time I've been to Grand Cayman, I did a Stingray City trip organized through the ship, as that was my first time to Grand Cayman, and heard that was the "don't miss" type of attraction in Grand Cayman. Swimming with the dolphins sounds exciting as well.

However, in Jamaica, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND sticking with a ship's excursion, since they scope out the tour operators, and have contracts with the more reputable ones. The only thing I didn't like about Dunn's River was all of the vendors, especially since you have to walk through the area where they are to exit. If you didn't want to do a ship's excursion, then maybe check out Shore Trips online at www.shoretrips.com. They are another reputable company that looks into the local tour operators. I wouldn't just wait until you got to Jamaica to book an excursion.

One thing I would check though about Grand Cayman, although you've been there before, so you probably know the drill. Since that's a tender port, there's a chance if the weather is rough that it may be deemed too dangerous for the tenders to run. If you book with an outside company directly, and not through the ship, check what their policy is if you are not able to make it to port on your scheduled day, or if you have to skip the port all together. This actually happened to me on my last cruise. It was pouring rain, windy, and rough seas, and the port decided it was too dangerous for the tenders to run. I had an excursion booked through the ship, which they refunded by means of an onboard credit. I would think though, in the winter, there's less likely of a chance of that happening than when I went (early fall 2010).
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 12-26-2011, 09:54 PM

Default Sting Ray City and Dunns River Falls
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmom111 View Post
we leave in a month on the valor for Grand Caymans and Jamacia and key west, We have been there before, we snorkeled at Grand Caymans and didnt get off the ship in Jamacia. Now we have our hubbys with us and want to do something different and dont mind too much getting off the ship in Jamacia. We kinda wanted to swim with the dolphins in Grand Caymans but we have not made that decision yet.
In Grand Cayman, we did the stingray city and it truly was amazing. Try to go on the very earliest trip though, because once all the other tours get there, it is a mad house of people. We were there first in the mornign and left when all the crowds arrived.

Also, DO NOT MISS DUNNS RIVER FALLS! This really is an amzaign beautiful place, and not simply because my husband asked me to marry him on the falls! :-) It's one of those experiences that is once in a lifetime and you will never forget it. Be prepared for a lot of begging; but get in the mindset that these people are very poor and simply trying to survive. If you find the humanity beautiful and have a good attitude about it; the ex[perience will be much better.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:35 PM

If you dock in Falmouth, Jamaica, take a taxi to the Sunset Beach Resort. It is $60 pp for an all-inclusive fun day at the resort and it's three beaches (careful, one is a nude one). All you can eat, drink, and all non-power toys are included.

All Royal Caribbean

02/23/02 Radiance of the Seas 7 night Southern Caribbean
01/31/05 Monarch of the Seas 4 night Baja Mexico
02/01/09 Adventure of the Seas 7 night Southern Caribbean

Old 01-23-2012, 05:36 PM

If you dock in Falmouth, Jamaica, take a taxi to the Sunset Beach Resort. It is $60 pp for an all-inclusive fun day at the resort and it's three beaches (careful, one is a nude one). All you can eat, drink, and all non-power toys are included. It is in Montego Bay, Jamaica.

All Royal Caribbean

02/23/02 Radiance of the Seas 7 night Southern Caribbean
01/31/05 Monarch of the Seas 4 night Baja Mexico
02/01/09 Adventure of the Seas 7 night Southern Caribbean

Old 03-26-2012, 01:16 PM

Default Cheap and Dependable Falmouth Guide
My wife and I just took our two young kids on a 7 day Mariner Of the Seas Cruise for spring break 2012 and we found a dependable tour operator in Falmouth Jamaica. Johnny Tours was a great and honest father of two who took us in a private bus to a public beach for $5 pp each way. We were not going for the overpriced beach break options that the cruise company offered and we found this local guy who was more interested in showing us a good time than taking us all the way to Montego Bay for a large fair. There is a public beach they call Board Beach in Falmouth that is 7 miles from the cruise port on the other side of Breezes Resort. It is a free beach and it was beautiful, much nicer than Time N Place that cost $10 pp to get in and is a run down mess. You could rent chairs, buy beer and snacks like the locals do and enjoy the beauty of the island without the half hour cab ride. Yes we were offered smoke and jewelry while we sat on the beach but never did I feel pressured or unsafe because we were a short walking distance to Breezes private beach that was overcrowded with people. I would Email Johnny Tours if you want a dependable tour guide who is there for you at john_lindo75@yahoo.com

Tags
cayman, cruise, forum, grand, ideas, jamacia, jamaica, key, port, reviews, ship, snorkeling, snorkling, time, west