Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/)
-   -   Cozumel is it safe right now??? Belize??? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/38101-cozumel-safe-right-now-belize.html)

Dalton 05-14-2012 06:37 AM

Cozumel is it safe right now??? Belize???

Mexico is having a ruff time right now. Our cruise is stopping in Cozumel and was wondering if it was safe to do stuff there? What are some ideas if it is safe to get off the ship. A nice beach or something really fun.Thanks

Belize...

Have no idea what to do here can someone help please. Thanks

Jim C. 05-14-2012 11:44 AM

Cozumel has the advantage of being an island off the mainland. It is more tourists than anything else so they don't tend to have the problems you see on the mainland. We have been to Cozumel a dozen times and never felt uneasy. I'm not saying they are crime free but it no worse than going to any decent sized city in the States. If you practice personal safety like you would if you go to a major city you will be fine.

As for what to do there, it is known for its clear water, scuba, snorkeling or just laying on the beach is great. Or you can see Mayan ruins, do a dolphin experience tour.. you name it and they have it. It really depends on your interests.

For Belize, they are big on their cave tubing. They have a river cave system and they take you on guided tube floats through the caves. They also have Mayan ruins. They have a "jungle tour" where you can see onkeys and such. They also have zip lining. Belize also is big on scuba and snorkling since they are on the worlds 2nd largest barrier reef system. But you will have to take a excursion to do that since you need a boat to get to the snorkeling sites.

penny3333 05-15-2012 04:54 AM

Hi Dalton! Cozumel is as safe as anywhere else, you just have to be aware, but that is true everywhere you go. There are tons of great things to do there, most revolve around the ocean, but there's also good shopping and tons of restaurants. The ruins are fabulous, too.

I'm not sure if you enjoy snorkeling or diving, but Belize is fabulous for both. The reef you go to there is second only to the great barrier reef. It goes down to Honduras (Roatan), too. If that's one of your destinations. I've not been to Belize City in a long time, mainly because I've done some great snorkeling excursions and haven't had the time to go into the city. My co-worker loves going into the city for shopping, eating, and drinking. Then he goes to a private island, I'll ask him the name if it interests you.

Hope you have a marvelous cruise!

alexandra cruiser 05-16-2012 11:08 AM

I agree about Cozumel,,but NOT Belize

My suggestion is NOT to go into city on own,,there last Dec.and glad I was on bus and just going thru to port..DID take ship s excursion,,Hubby did zip line and I did airboat tour..Not one of my favorite ports. Sorry, but would NOT go again.Looked too rough and did NOT feel safe.

macmom111 05-16-2012 04:51 PM

I was in Cozumel just a few weeks ago, it is very safe, they cater to the tourist, without the tourist they will go broke in a hurry.
Belize I would never do anything on my own except the shopping area the tender takes you to. There are excursions there but I am a bit leary of them, you are not in America where we have safety standards, checks and rechecks. Several yrs ago a lady died needlessly cave tubing in Belize (on a carnival excursion), in Roatan, the zipline broke and killed the rider (On a ship excursion). This was several yrs ago and I am sure they are a bit better (maybe) just realize you are not in America when you plan your excursions

Dalton 05-17-2012 06:22 AM

Thank all for the reply. So is Belize is it safe to go to a beach their?? What is a nice one there??

Jim C. 05-17-2012 08:53 AM

There is not a "beach" in Belize. You have to go to one of their Keyes to find a beach. The Belize river dumps into the ocean right there at Belize city where you tender into, so the water is brown stained... so no beach.

BUt you can take the tender in and purchase a "excursion" to one of the keyes that provide a beach area.

Dalton 05-17-2012 08:33 PM

Hey Jim I did a search and saw where u have done a cave tubing through Reggie tours???? I think that is right. Would you recommand him again. Also to someone that has never book outside the cruise line?? It seems that everyone talks about the cave tubing their. What else is there? Besides the Ruins?

alexandra cruiser 05-18-2012 05:46 AM

Dalton,,,in this port I d DO THE SHIPS TOUR to

assure safety.Price MAY be more,,but its WORTH it.Other ports,,ok ..on own..but SO GLAD I booked mine thru ship..they have zipline,airboat,snorkle,cave tubing,etc...on and on..

Can google tourism in Belize to see above,,and on you tube to see videos.

alexandra cruiser 05-18-2012 05:48 AM

Dalton,,,in this port I d DO THE SHIPS TOUR to

assure safety.Price MAY be more,,but its WORTH it.Other ports,,ok ..on own..but SO GLAD I booked mine thru ship..they have zipline,airboat,snorkle,cave tubing,etc...on and on..

Can google tourism in Belize to see above,,and on you tube to see videos.

Remember ,,if tour guide booked on own does not get you back to ship,,for WHATEVER reason,,you re stuck..and NOT a place to be on own.Sorry to be harsh,,but just my opinion.