Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 01:17 PM

Hi everyone - I'm new here We're cruising on the Carnival Legend at the end of October and I have a question - does anyone know if they sell insulin at the pharmacy? My husband is insulin dependent and purchasing it here in the states is VERY expensive. He uses Humulog and Lantus.

Thanks for any input. I'm so glad I found this forum!
Old 09-21-2010, 01:15 PM

Hi lovedogs, welcome to Cruise-Chat! Congratulations on your up-coming cruise. I wish I could answer your question. I do know that there are pharmacies close to both ports in Cozumel, but don't know what all they carry. I would assume everything you can get here, you can get there, as long as you have a prescription. Hopefully, someone can answer your question from experience.

Best wishes and have a wonderful cruise!
Old 10-03-2010, 08:27 AM

There are many types of insulin and insulin delivery systems available elsewhere that are not available in Cozumel. We don't have many diabetic patients here -- though it's a growing problem -- so insulin isn't a standard stock item and is only available in vials as an injectible -- syringes sold separately... Diabetics here usually go to the hospitals and clinics to receive insulin. Further, insulin must be stored under refrigeration and most farmacias don't have that capacity.

Your best bet is to check at Farmacia Dori downtown -- on the north side of A.R. Salas between Aves. 15 & 20. It may look like a hole in the wall outfit, but Dori is the largest and most complete pharmacy on the island, serving the hospitals as well as individuals. If it has what you want at a price you like, the clerk can tell you where to go for an Rx should they require it -- there should be a writing physician within a few doors of the pharmacy.

In any case, enjoy your visit to our island!

Tags
cartagena, close, cozmel, cozumel, cruise, cruiseport, dock, farmacia, mexico, pharmacies, pharmacy, pharmacys, port, prices, ship