Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 09:44 AM

I searched but didn't find an answer to this question - Is this one of the ports where we could just get a cab to take us to main shopping/restaurant area for a little shopping and some lunch? We will be on Holiday May 21st and none of the tours really appeal to us.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Absolutely. You dock at an industrial pier adjacent to Xcaret, but it is just a pier and a lot of sand piles and rocks. However there is a tent city of vendors set up by the ship and they also have plenty of taxis. Just grab one and it is a few minutes to Playa del Carmen. In fact we did the same as you last time we were there.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:11 AM

Hi BJC123,

We were just on the Holiday and took a cab to Playa del Carmen. I think that the price was $14 for up to 4 people. It was a ten minute ride and there is lots of shopping and restaurants. This seems to be the best way to spend the day in this port. There is also a public beach right there at the shopping aera. Have fun.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-10-2009, 10:40 AM

Thanks ... would have liked to do Tulum, but the old (new) knee is giving me fits ... we just want to see the town and get some good food and then back to the ship ... do you know where Holiday docks in Cozumel?

Sole object of this trip is little relaxation and cruise number 10! We will celebrate our 43 anniversay though ...
Old 03-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Administrator

On our last cruise to Cozumel on the Holiday we were at International Pier. It will either be there or at the downtown pier.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:50 PM

Congratulations on the old/new knee and your 43rd anniversary! Tulum is great, but it is a lot of walking and the stairs are steep and narrow. I swear they must have all had size 2 feet. We were with Dave and a few others on the Holiday and went to the Cozumel Beach Club, it was very nice. Which reminds me, I haven't uploaded those pictures. Anyway, they had a nice pool, nice beach area, nice restaurant/bar. Fat Tuesdays is no longer at the dock, it's downtown, but there is a Jimmy Buffet's and Carlos n Charlies. You might want to try grabbing a cab to Chankanaab Park or Paradise Beach, too.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:11 PM

I don't think we have ever docked at International pier. It isn't "attached" to the same shopping village as Puerto Maya has is it? We were just hoping to get off ship and do a little shopping and eat at Panchos ... have done most of the activities that we would be interested in doing - we are particularly beach people ...
Old 03-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Administrator

International Pier is just north of the Puerta Maya Pier. They have separate shopping areas. International is the oldest pier. When we were there last summer Puerta Maya had not re-opened yet, but it is now so you could also moor there - especially since Carnival has an interest in it. International is usually regarded as the RCI pier if I recall correctly.

I personally like the Punta Langosta pier downtown since everything is "right there", and you can eat at the original Pancho's by just walking to it.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:41 PM

I agree with you - plus it is a much shorter walk than the Puerto Maya pier ... I use a walker when I'm off the ship as I have trouble walking distances and I had to stop several times in December when we docked there (PM) on Conquest.

We LOVE Pancho's even if they are sometimes really slow on their service ... Well, at least I will probably get to go to Romero & Rachet this time - which I won't do if we do happen to dock at PM Pier ... oh well, either or is fine with me

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, calica, carmen, cruise, del, long, pictures, pier, playa, port, shopping