Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 06:08 PM

Hello! We are leaving on our 4th cruise on 08/29 on the Glory. I think we are brave enough to try booking a private tour. I have been browsing some websites.
I will def keep the time issue as a #1 priority. I DO NOT want to be left behind!! This is what has kept is booking through the ship in the past.

Could you recommend some companies you have personally worked with? We are looking for an adventure/snorkel type activity.

Thanks for your advise. I have learned so much from this website.

jaye

Carnival Sensation 02/2003
Carnival Miracle 09/2006
Carnival Inspiration 08/2007

Carnival Glory~08/2009
Old 08-16-2009, 09:45 PM

I'll try to help with St. Thomas, I haven't been to St. Maarten in a long while. I've never done a private or ship tour on St. Thomas though, I just do my own. Either to one of the beaches, or my favorite...over to St. John. It is home to the USVI National Park. Trunk Bay is simply gorgeous. It has an underwater snorkel trail and is staffed with lifeguards from the U.S. Park Service.

Getting there and back is an adventure in itself, but is well worth it. Just allow plenty of time to get back to the ship. Here is a link to a great FAQ article Jim C. wrote about doing it on your own.

Dwayne

PS. You'll need to use the BB Code option for your ticker to work.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:50 PM

Hi Jaye, what type of excursion were you looking for? I second IslandCruz's St. John/Trunk Bay recommendation. In St. Maarten, you can grab a cab to Orient Beach, Maho Beach or Marigot. There are plenty hanging around. There's also a nice beach near the dock that you can take the water taxi to.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:01 PM

Thank you both for the info. As I do more research, I am starting to notice that there isn't much of a diference in private tour prices from Carnival prices. Either Carnival has gone down or private tour prices have gone up?

Either way I think I will check on St. John's. I have heard so many great things. Funny thing is that I don't remember seeing any tours with Carnival that go to St. Johns. I will have to double check.

Thanks!!!
Old 08-17-2009, 10:05 PM

Jaye, I found some Carnival St. John excursions on page 3.

Dwayne
Old 08-19-2009, 12:22 PM

On St. Thomas we used a company called Simplicity Charter. It is an amazing sailboat that took us on a great sail along St. John with stops for snorkeling, beachcombing and swimming (your preference on activities at stops). They served a great fruit and breads plate for breakfast/brunch, AND a grilled luncheon. The boat was clean and well maintained (the captain's parents live aboard, have day jobs--their son does charters while they are at work!). The captain and first mate are both college educated, articulate people with backgrounds in marine sciences--they were fun and talkative and a wealth of information. They are transplanted Americans and just so terrific. They only take 6 people on their sailboat so this was really private! They have a website.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, carinval, cruise, excursions, guide, john, maarten, martin, miy, private, saint, st, thomas, tour, tours