Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Seems our next cruise will be on the Fantasy. A choice of going to Nassau and then Freeport or doing Freeport first and then Nassau. Reading the things to do in port chat it looks like Atlantis or snorkeling.

I snorkled in Hawaii about 20 years ago fine but when I tried again last year in St Thomas I could not bring myself to breath right. Also the seal on the mask leaked through my mustash. Any suggestions on the mental thing about breathing and what do I do about the facial hair short of shaving it off.

Thanks
Old 09-15-2010, 10:41 AM

Hey Cruisedad, we always snorkel at least once on our cruises and should look into buying at least the mask and snorkel to avoid just this sort of thing that your experienced..for the most part, we have been lucky to not encounter this problem but once. Having your own can avoid this sort of bad experience and they really don't take up that much room in the luggage. Good luck and enjoy.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-15-2010, 11:52 AM

Sometimes the trick is getting a good facial seal with the mask. When I had longer hair it would often be a problem. As Peter mentioned, you may want to check out getting your own mask that fits you better. They make a myriad of styles of them. I always take my own that fits my face well and gives me a good seal.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:53 PM

i think that Dale Earnhardt sr( a yr or so before his death) had to shave his mustache so he could get a good fit.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks everyone
I'll see if I can get my own mask. Maybe even a bit of practise in the bath tub might help.

Hope I don't have to shave. My daughter might not recognize me. I can remember the last time when she was about 6 years old I shaved and she was afraid of me when I came home from work. She's 31 now and married, but who knows
Old 09-16-2010, 01:14 PM
I find that if I get my hair wet before I put my mask on, I get a better seal. Maybe some hair gel in your mustache might give you a barrier so the water doesn't leak.
I got a cheaper than dirt set at Kmart..about 5 dollars with fins and all. That way if a petroleum product breaks down the plastic it's no great loss.

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 09-16-2010, 04:46 PM

I bought a fitted mask and forgot to pack it on one of my cruises and ended up renting one. I tried a couple different masks and found that the one I used was just as good of a fit as my mask at home. One thing I won't do is rent a snorkel--that you have to put in your mouth.

Sonny
Old 09-16-2010, 06:34 PM

I won't rent the snorkels either, I've seen their method of sanitizing them. Carnival used to sell them at the Shore Excursion desk for $5. Not sure if they still do.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:17 PM

A snorkel is sooooo ez to pack. If you don't have a mask, at least buy a snorkel and take it along.

Sonny
Old 09-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sonny V:
A snorkel is sooooo ez to pack. If you don't have a mask, at least buy a snorkel and take it along.

Sonny
Vasoline in the mustash sounds crazy but also sound like it could work. I'll check with kids on board to see if the gift shop is selling snorkels. I bought a pair of duck feet on the Glory and still have them today.

Tags
sanitizing, snorkle