Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Administrator

I can't find an English version of the story, but a man who had taken the ferry from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen died Friday, and in a horrible way.

Apparently the ferry was returning to Cozumel, and as it was docking the man somehow went over the side and got caught by the propellers. One Spanish language report says he was trying to get a closer look at the docking procedure and got too close to the side and got knocked overboard when the ship bumped the pier. The man is reported to have been a passenger on the Freedom Of The Seas. His wife witnessed the tragedy.

I'll spare you the details, but if you wish you can see the story here. If you don't read Spanish you can babelfish it and although the translation is poor you'll get the major points.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:58 AM

Yikes. If that area is dangerous, they should have had it roped off or something. People have to remember that not everywhere takes the necessary safety precautions.

He sure got an upclose look at the docking procedure!

Old 09-10-2009, 10:24 AM

That is a horrible tragedy. I sure hope alcohol wasn't involved. I couldn't pull up the story, but it's probably just as well. Reminds me of that young lady that lost her leg here recently. She sure seems to be doing great, though.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Reminds me of that young lady that lost her leg here recently.
On a cruise? What happened?!

Old 09-11-2009, 07:18 AM

No, she wasn't on a cruise. She was with her dad and boyfriend on the Tennessee River in Decatur. Something happened and the boat jerked suddenly knocking her overboard. Her left leg got caught in the propeller, and nearly severed. She was able to keep the leg for almost a week, but they finally had to amputate. She's 16 and has done a remarkable job of keeping her spirits up, pain meds down, and recovering. I believe her name was Molly. They've had a few articles in the paper about her. They were heading for the dock and it was late at night. Her dad was driving the boat, so you know how he must feel. She's lucky they even found her after she went overboard.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:35 AM

That's awful. I'm glad she's doing better.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:23 AM

Me, too! I can only imagine the poor wife watching. I can't remember the show I was watching, but it involved water safety. They showed all types of boating/watercraft accidents. There was a lady filming her husband on a jet ski. They were on their honeymoon. The guy cut in front of a yacht and was killed instantly. It's fun to play in the water, but you sure have to be careful.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:51 PM

Definitely!

Closed Thread

Tags
amputated, cozumel, cruise, death, dies, ferry, honeymoon, incident, killed, lady, leg, man, member, mexico, passenger, review, ship, tragedy