Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 07:01 PM

I am leaving next friday to go to Port Canaveral for a cruise on the Glory. I am a bit concerned about catching the swine flu. Just wondering if anyone has caught the flu while on a ship and what they did for it.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:49 AM

I got my flu shot on Wednesday and hope to get an H1N1 shot before I leave. If not, I'm still going.

I'm sure the ships are well equipped for illnesses, but if you want to be assured, I suggest you contact the line you are sailing on.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:02 AM

Haven't heard of any macmom111, but it can happen anywhere. Wash your hands often, use the hand sanitizers all over the ship, and avoid people coughing/sneezing. The CDC is now saying that one dose of the vacine will work for adults and older children. They are saying the vacine will be available in early October.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:07 AM

Check out this article.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:12 AM
The last time we cruised they had staff at the entrances to the dining areas who would sqiurt you r hand with gel - that was Royal Carib - I think your chances are no worse than anywhere else you're around a lot of people.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:24 AM

Hi, we have heard some people who had contacted the Swine flu on a ship, but nothning major. Of course the cruise lines will not or ever admit to it been the Swine flu. Like the previous posts, please do not let this get in your way of having a good time. The flu is all around and if you worry about this you will never leave your house. Just make sure you wash good.
Thanks.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:08 AM

When we cruised this past spring with RCI, hand sanitisers were there but not being pushed as it was two years ago on a sister ship. I think it all depends on whats going on in the world and on the particular ship.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-01-2009, 01:44 PM

Dear macmom111,

Believe me. You can catch the HIN1 anywhere. It is out in the general population because people refuse to stay home. I was confirmed by nasal swab to have it in late June. Was confined to bedroom for 10 days. IT was no picnic I tell you. My company insurance paid me out fully for my time off but had I been cruising I would not have been able to leave my cabin because that is what this nasty flu does to you. It just shuts your whole system down and all you want to do is sleep. So chances are if someone boards ship with the H1N1, they will not be able to do very much prowling around because, well, the flu just stops a person in their tracks. Unfortunately, it is out in the population now and because a lot of people do not have the workplace financial protection I have, they will still go out to work and pass it along. Once on your cruise, unless you develop severe respiratory issues, you will remain on your cruise. What I suggest is that you make sure you have insurance prior to boarding the ship in the event that you do catch the H1N1 and must come home or end your trip early. We are booked for a Christmas cruise and are heavily insured for illness. For everything really. Again, with the H1N1, the only medical reason you would have to interrup your trip, is if you develop respiratory distress - trouble breathing with the H1N1, that is when you need oxygen and you would have to leave the ship to get that in a hospital environment. The ships have great medical facilities, however, I do not know if they have the isolation rooms that the hospitals in the states or Canada have. We take no chances. Carry isnurance to the limit. Cheers.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:00 PM

My DH and I were on HAL's Volendam when my DH came down with the flu. It was a large outbreak of the Noro Virus. I was fine but confined to the room with my husband for three days. Got tired of watching reruns of I Luv Lucy and Green Acres. A nurse came to the room twice to give my husband a shot in the rear. My DH was given Gatorade and it was a chore for him to keep that down. He really didn't eat for three days. Around the ship, salt and pepper shakers were removed and the library was closed. No one was allowed to touch anything in the stores and all food was served by staff. Every day someone from the front desk called to see how we were doing and we were refunded all our missed excursions plus extras for remaining in isolation. Thankfully my DH got sick in the middle of the cruise and was able to leave the ship at the end of the cruise. On departure day there were people just starting to get sick and I felt sorry for them. We have been on a cruise since then and got along fine but opted for a balcony as opposed to being in a ocean view room for three strait days. The room service was good and I had a field day ordering what I wanted. All in all we were treated well once we notified the medical people. On the last day there were two pages of cleaniing to do to the room once we left like steam cleaning all the walls, cleaning phone, mattress etc.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:09 AM

We were hit by the Noro Virus on a cruise last May as over 100 people were very sick. We were alright, but our best friends, the husband, was hit with the bug and was confine to his room for 3 days, however his wife was able to come and go as she wanted. She came to the dining room table with us every night. We asked her why was she able to move around and she say they never advise her not too. So I find this very confusing. I agree that both people should be force to stay in the room.

Closed Thread

Tags
bad, boarding, caribbean, catch, caught, cruise, flu, flue, kind, prior, room, rule, ship, ships, shot