Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 12:35 PM

Has anyone ever rented a car in San Juan and can share thier thoughts/experience. I will be there a day in port and did not want to use ship tours. I was told by someone who has family there that renting a car on my own would be a mistake being the traffic and conjestion is very bad and though a small island, not easy to get around. My goal was to leave the dock and drive to the Rain Forest and then stop at Old San Juan before returning. This person told me it would take me hours in traffic just to reach the rain forest. Anyone have feedback on this. I dislike tours and would like to go about things on my own but would hate the stress of batteling heavy traffic.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:03 PM

It can be done, but traffic is horrendous. Hopefully, Cas will see your post. He lives there. I don't think I'd try driving there. They don't use brakes, just horns
Old 08-22-2009, 03:10 PM

Thanks Penny, I was afraid of that...your response is in line with my friends opinion and it looks like I may bite the bullet and take a ship organized tour for this one.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:36 PM
^^^^
It will be for the best
Traffic in Puerto Rico can be a little crazy sometimes in San Juan even around the island.
I don't really recomend any Car renting unless you are going to stay for a few days before your cruise.
If you arrive after 3 pm on a week day
the traffic is so problematic, that probably it will take you an hour just to get back to San Juan on the best case and the rainforest is far from our port in old San Juan.
My advice
Take a tour from the cruise company it will be safer and I live here and sometimes I ask myself how can I drive a car in this island...
Old 08-22-2009, 05:38 PM

Thanks Cas...cannot get any better than recieving advise from a resident!! Will do on the tour. Want to spend my time enjoying the sites stress free. Thank you for your time on this post.

Closed Thread

Tags
car, drive, juan, port, rainforest, rental, rented, san