Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/)
-   -   St Thomas Transportation question (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/4598-st-thomas-transportation-question.html)

kmathi 10-24-2009 03:03 PM

Hi,
I will be going to St Thomas soon and was wondering if there is any public bus transportation from the dock area to the beaches... specifically Coki beach that is located on the other side of the island. I understand the taxi's are expensive. Is there a ho ho that one could venture off and on to visit several beaches?
Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Karen

Jim C. 10-24-2009 09:55 PM

I don't think there is a ho ho bus. But there is public transportation buses. They cost a dollar a person ($2 if you are going far). If you walk out of the fenced port area and turn towards your left you will see a Wendy's restaurant.. in front of that there is a covered bench which is the bus stop. Ask someone waiting there if that bus route goes to Coki beach, they always seem friendly and are willing to help. We normally take the public bus to Red Hook to catch the ferry to St John. Its must less expensive than a taxi, as long as you don't mind the spartan conditions...

corkgirl 10-26-2009 05:00 PM

would Coki beach be the best beach to go to at this stop? Id like somewhere quiet, maybe that has massages, jet skis etc on offer. Dont want anywhere too manic

thanks

kmathi 10-27-2009 04:21 AM

Thanks for the input...
My first time to St Thomas...Why Corkgirl, Coki not the best spot? I like to Dive, in this case with the kids, snorkel and it "looked" on pictures to be calm water good for such a thing. Any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated because yes..I do indeed prefer a more isolated area if possible.

Cruise Fanatic 10-27-2009 05:13 AM

For a quieter, smaller beach I liked Morningstar Beach.

Jim C. 10-27-2009 07:10 AM

I'm afraid I can't help you there as when we go to St Thomas we always head over to St John and snorkel there. I can't answer for St Thomas proper. Cruise Fanatic's suggestion may be the way to go.

sue7045 11-07-2009 04:48 AM

Just came back from coki beach. The open air bus cost us $9 per person. The beach was good and the snorkeling was great! Don"t follow everyone else, go off to the left follow the rocks.

kmathi 11-07-2009 05:50 PM

Thank you Sue! I appreciate the advise about going to the left towards the rocks. Was that bus pass one way or round trip? I understand there is no ho ho but did the bus make the rounds and also.....did you hit any other beaches that you could advise on? Thanks again everyone for your help. Not much time there and I want to make the most of the day.

sue7045 11-09-2009 03:45 PM

The $9 was for each way. You can also try Saphire Beach. If you have some extra time you shouldn't miss the paradise point skytram. What a great view!

penny3333 11-10-2009 08:59 AM

Kmathi, if you do go to Sapphire Beach, be aware there are rocks when trying to enter the water. If you go towards the north end of the beach, it's easier entry. The snorkeling is ok if the wind isn't blowing. It can get quite choppy. One of the crew members on the Emerald Princess told me that they usually go to Pineapple Beach. I haven't been there, so cannot personally recommend it. We normally go to St. John, too. Trunk Bay is normally very tranquil, great self-guided snorkel trail about 50 yards off the beach, beautiful beach, good facilities. It does cost to go over, $6/pp on the ferry. You can catch the ferry from Havensight, but I know the Red Hook schedule is on time as they use that for public transportation. The cab fare to Trunk Bay was $4-$5/pp, and the entrance fee to the park was around $4/pp. Here is a link for the ferry schedule, if you're interested. The cab fare to get to Red Hook is $18/pp. Coki is a very nice beach, so is Magan's Bay. Sapphire will be less crowded.