Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2004, 12:37 PM

HI!
I'm a shopoholic and i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on which ports offer the best shopping and what the ports specialize in.

We'll be going to Belize City, Costa Maya, Cozumel, George town...
PLEASE.. let me know what to expect and what i should buy in these places!
Thank you!
Old 09-05-2004, 12:37 PM

HI!
I'm a shopoholic and i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on which ports offer the best shopping and what the ports specialize in.

We'll be going to Belize City, Costa Maya, Cozumel, George town...
PLEASE.. let me know what to expect and what i should buy in these places!
Thank you!
Old 09-05-2004, 07:16 PM

I went on that itinerary earlier this year on the Voyager of the Seas, and the RCI shopping experts on board (husband and wife team) recommended that Cozumel was the best for shopping of the 4 ports. I did not shop, but the biggest shopping port talk on the TVs was Cozumel.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:53 AM

Cozumel is rather shopper-friendly, with most of the major shops clustered together and easily walkable. Shops range from large and airy to tiny mom & pop operations. There is some hustle going on (trying to get people into their stores), which one should expect in the Caribbean and Mexico, but not too bad, and a wide range of craft and souvenir items that are fun to look at. I can't answer for the other ports on your itinerary, as I haven't been there yet, but I think you might enjoy Cozumel's shopping. Prices should be better than on Grand Cayman too.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:42 PM

i just returned from cozumel and grand caymen, cozumel is the best for shopping so is key west- remember never pay asking price offer your best bottom dollar and you will receive.

enjoy your cruise!
donna
Old 09-10-2004, 03:45 AM

Betsy,
Cozumel and Grand Cayman will offer your best shopping experiences on your itinerary, but you can find more detailed information at our Port Reviews site:
http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com/

Then just follow the link to each of the islands in question and details about where to shop and what to buy can be found there.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 09-10-2004, 10:43 AM
Banned

It depends on what you are shopping for. If there is something that you looking for check out the prices at home first or on the internet. The last cruise we were on in January any savings we had was wiped out by the duty we had to pay. Yes; you are allowed some exemption but if you go over you pay. Customs is really cracking down. If you are just buying some cheap souvenirs anywhere is a good place. You start out at $200 haggle down to $50 buy it and a few months later you put it in a garage sale for $1.00. Have fun and enjoy your cruise.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:19 PM

Thank you for all your great suggestions!!
I'm so excited!!!
Old 09-12-2004, 05:12 AM

Costa Maya is expensive well except for the Hard Rock cafe shirt I picked up for $3.00, A co worker returned from Costa Maya and said he hated it there and never wanted to go back so when I went 4 months later I found this hard rock shirt in a t shirt shop and bought it when I returned to work he said how was Costa Maya I said boring until we found the Hard Rock then we partied all day he looked at my t shirt and questioned me for a week where the hard rock was at, man that was a fun joke. but in all serious, Costa Maya beach day, Cozumel walk 2 or 3 blocks off the tourist area and you can get some good deals not much as their are more and more tourist going 2 or 3 blocks in town looking for the good deal, rule of thumb if the have no electric a deal can be made. Belize and Grand Cayman I have not been to.
Ecstasy ~ 04/03
Norwegian Sky ~ 09/03
Splendour of the Seas ~ 04/04
Rhapsody of the Seas ~ 10/04

Countdown to the Carnival Conquest
Old 09-13-2004, 07:32 PM

Cozumel by far

and if you do Lunch there go to la choza (sp) its a great local restaurant

top drawer!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carribean, cayman, cozamel, cruise, expect, grand, place, port, ports, reviews, shop, shopping, western, westerncarribean