Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2004, 10:32 AM

I've read that the locals are very aggresive at the market place at the end of Dunns Falls. I've also read that there is a way to avoid that area by going out the entrance...not sure how that works. I've never been there. Can anyone give a more detailed description of how to survive this ordeal. We will be taking the RC Dunns Falls/Dolphin Swim Encounter. So we will be leaving Dunns Falls and heading to Dolphin Cove. How does that all work?
Old 05-03-2004, 10:32 AM

I've read that the locals are very aggresive at the market place at the end of Dunns Falls. I've also read that there is a way to avoid that area by going out the entrance...not sure how that works. I've never been there. Can anyone give a more detailed description of how to survive this ordeal. We will be taking the RC Dunns Falls/Dolphin Swim Encounter. So we will be leaving Dunns Falls and heading to Dolphin Cove. How does that all work?
Old 05-03-2004, 02:52 PM

We did the falls this past Feb. I have always liked alittle adventure and it was fun {after it was over} . Most of the way through I was curesing the ladies at work who told me it would be great to do with my 12 year old son .Make sure to eat your weattes.The locals are very,very aggresive !! I will say getting to The Dolphin Swim was a pice of cake. You take one of the same buses that you take from the boat you will get a wriste band its like your ticket.Their is also a small zoo at the Dolphin Swim thay played games with the kids and live music and a small place to eat /*drinks* When you leave ask the bus driver to drop you off @ Margaritavill its in a very nice place to shop and its next to a great clean beach with a short walk back to your boat.Have a great time ! We did ! Just be real carful at the Falls .
Old 05-04-2004, 07:35 PM

Hello floridaheidi

I've been to the falls about four or five times and I'd like to emphasize that it's one of those things that you just have to do - so please don't change your mind about going. Everybody helps each other and that cool water pouring over you really feels great. If you have some extra money be sure to buy the photo they take of you.
I don't know of a way to go out the front entrance unless you get out before you get to the top but I wouldn't do that. I usually just tell people to walk briskly through the market and don't look at any of the items and most of all don't allow them to put anything in your hands. A friend that was there a few weeks ago said their guide told them to simply make a fist and gently touch their fist with yours while saying the word "respect". I had never heard that before but she said it worked!

My Homepage is:
http://www.CruiseKnowledge.com/
Old 05-21-2004, 09:48 AM

Irie is the word. They know what that means. It's their life is good saying....
Old 05-21-2004, 10:21 AM

What is IRIE? I'm not certain I understand. Are you suggesting that I say that to the people and they will leave me alone? What does it mean?
Old 05-21-2004, 02:55 PM

Jamaicans are very proud people. They live in a very poor country. If you were to talk to someone and the person you talked to ignored you, you would get a little upset (okay maybe a lot upset). That happens quite a bit to the people of Jamaica as people sometimes are afraid of them. Show them some respect and it will go a long way. If someone wants you to go into their area to look around at their carvings, clothes or whatever, a simple "no thank you, mon" will go along way. It shows respect. Show them a little respect and they will not hassle. Once you get to know a person and they know that you understand them, they will great you with "respect".

As for Irie, it could be used as a greeting of hello or even goodbye. It is also used when everything is going great. If someone asks how you are doing, respond with "everything's Irie". Again, RESPECT!

Joe Canino CTC, MCC

Closed Thread

Tags
dunns, falls, market