Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 05:59 AM

Our excursion bookings just became available for our January cruise, so I want to make our selections as soon as possible (for peace of mind and to avoid being shut out of the things we really want to do).
My husband wants to book all of our excursions thru Royal Caribbean. He feels safer doing it this way. I've done the research and know that many people book on their own, but we probably won't be doing that.
My question... our four children (ages 11-19) definitely want to do a dolphin swim (not an encounter). There are only a few offered during the week of our cruise. Cozumel offers one called the "DOLPHIN PUSH PULL SWIM". Has anyone done this? Is it enough interaction with the dolphins? Is it worth the $118 each?
I've read many suggestions from people recommending the Royal Swim, but that doesn't seem to be offered thru the cruise ship. The only other dolphin swim is called the Dolphin Swim and Ride - and it is done in a cove and might be almost too intense for our family (not sure).
But I definitely want them to get the best experience - it's a once in a lifetime event.
Any help or suggestions would be GREAT!
Thanks!!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-31-2009, 07:35 AM

We did ours in Cozumel, it was at Chankanaab Park and we booked it through the ship. It was worth every single cent. It is the most awesome experience I've had. They are so extremely intelligent, strong yet gentle. There is plenty of interaction in the push/pull/swim. For me, I could have stayed there all day, but of course, the dolphin may not have appreciated that. You cannot wear shoes or sunscreen. They will take pictures and videos (for sale after-of course). I took my underwater camera with me (Wal-Mart disposable) and was able to get a couple of pictures, but when you're in the water with them, you will have to put it on the platform. I purchased the video since the stills were pretty pricey. I really enjoyed Chankanaab Park after our swim. There were a few shops, a restaurant, and some really nice beach areas with snorkeling available. There were some animals there, too. (Like a small zoo). I think you'd really enjoy the one in Cozumel, the cove one sounds fun, too. I haven't done that one, so I don't know how much room you'd have. In Cozumel, you had plenty of room to swim, etc.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:26 AM

Penny3333,
Thanks for the info and insight. Did the video include everyone in the group or just you? If we buy a video afterwards I would like for it to include all 6 of our family members?

Old 08-31-2009, 09:19 AM

The video was of me, my husband, and a bit of the group. They really did a good job. I think they charged us $45. However, when I'm really down because I need a cruise. I pop the video in, and can relive the experience. It always makes me smile.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:38 PM

We did the Royal Swim at Chankanaab. It was worth every dime. Our video was of the group but the group was 6 people, and we were four of them. We did this through Shoretrips.com. We felt we got a much smaller group than through the ship, a better experience and about the same price. Chankanaab is easy to get cabs to an from and you could really do this on your own so easily. My husband never like to venture away from the ship's product either (better safe than sorry) but Shoretrips.com is bonded, insured, US based, and hasn't had a patron miss a ship yet. Check out their website, and you can call them up and talk to a real person for more information before you commit.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Old 11-20-2009, 12:39 PM

We,3 of us my wife 9 year old son and I did the royal swim in Tortola. Do not do anything less just because that is all the ship offers. Book off the internet for Cozumel and you will have no problems. It will most likely cost as much as the ship excursion for a much better time with the dolphins and it will not be a hassle to do. The royal swim includes swimming, 2 dolphins pushing you by the feet,belly ride, JUST DO IT AN EXPERIENCE OF A LIFE TIME!!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
booking, carnival, chankanaab, cozumel, cruise, dolphin, excursion, excursions, line, pull, push, rccl, reviews, ride, ship, swim