Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2002, 10:37 PM

Hi, Going to St. Thomas...Only their for 10 hours. Which place would be best for snorkeling...Buck Island or Trunk Bay...or any other good spots? My kids aged 8 + 9 have never been snorkeling before. We also want to go on the Atlantis submarine (2 hrs.) and take in some shopping. All opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Kim
Old 07-25-2002, 10:37 PM

Hi, Going to St. Thomas...Only their for 10 hours. Which place would be best for snorkeling...Buck Island or Trunk Bay...or any other good spots? My kids aged 8 + 9 have never been snorkeling before. We also want to go on the Atlantis submarine (2 hrs.) and take in some shopping. All opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Kim
Old 08-05-2002, 02:39 PM

Kim, both Buck Island and Trunk Bay provide a good snorkeling experience. Based on the age and inexperience of your boys I think I would choose Trunk Bay. The underwater trail is well marked and provides an excellent first snorkeling experience. Both places tend to be crowded. You can plan a snorkeling trip to Trunk Bay on your own (take the ferry and rent the equipment at Trunk Bay) and still have time for shopping (A MUST in St. Thomas). If you are pressed for time, you do not need to go into town - The Havensight Mall at the port has many of the same shops as downtown, and at the same prices.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 09-12-2002, 03:14 PM
Banned

I was ust looking at the tours from princess. there is one for St. John beach snorkel at Trunk Bay. It is $45.00 pp. It includes a ferry ride to St John and then a bus to Trunk Bay. You get snokeling equipment and follow underwater snokel trail. From what I am reading here I could jsut take a ferry on my own and do the same thing a lot cheaper. Could anyone give more information on doing this and any risks involved by doing it on your own. Thanks
Old 09-12-2002, 10:46 PM

There's a lot of posts on ship shore excursions vs. doing it on your own to save a few dollars. Just remember, if you miss the ship while on your own, you have to catch up with it at another port. If you get delayed with a ship tour, the ship will wait until you get back. We always book with the ship excursions.
Old 09-16-2002, 04:51 AM

I agree that there is some risk involved in making your own arrangements rather than using the ship excursions, but if you watch your time and plan ahead the risk is minimized and the savings worth it. (I would not recommend this in all ports, but St. Thomas is easy to navigate on your own). You can catch a ferry to St. Johns either at Red Hook or downtown (You will need to take a cab to either). The ferry costs about $3 pp each way (I beleive that is what I paid on my last trip). You can catch a bus (actually an open air tram that makes continuous trips around the island)right at the ferry dock in St. Johns that will take you directly to Trunk Bay. Snorkel equipment can be rented there for approximately $10.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 09-16-2002, 12:24 PM
Banned

Thanks NancyN

That is the info I was looking for. It would be $3.00 for the cab to Town that I will not count because we will go to town anyways. $3.00 for the boat ride to St John's and a few dollars for the tram. $10.00 to rent the snokel equipment that my wife would not need because she does not care to snorkel (claustrophobic). Maybe $5.00 for park entrance. So the cost would be about $52.00 instead of $90.00 if the tram cost $5.00 each way.

Closed Thread

Tags
bay, buck, cruise, ferry, island, john, port, snorkel, st, thoams, thomas, time, trip, trips, trunk, trunks