Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2005, 05:23 PM

Our first cruise is coming up in April. My husband wants to try snorkeling in Coco Cay. It sounds like fun, but... I dont like sharks, or anything else that might bite, I wonder if we need lessons first(there is 3 feet of snow here so that is probably not going to happen) and we are not the smallest people not the largest, but not the smallest either. All friendly comments welcome Thanks Oh and also a description would be welcome as well. Mental preparation ect...
Old 01-24-2005, 05:23 PM

Our first cruise is coming up in April. My husband wants to try snorkeling in Coco Cay. It sounds like fun, but... I dont like sharks, or anything else that might bite, I wonder if we need lessons first(there is 3 feet of snow here so that is probably not going to happen) and we are not the smallest people not the largest, but not the smallest either. All friendly comments welcome Thanks Oh and also a description would be welcome as well. Mental preparation ect...
Old 01-24-2005, 05:59 PM

If you are comfortable submerging your face into water and floating in the ocean, you can take up snorkeling in minutes. It is very natural and easy to do.

I would suggest visiting a dive shop in your area and being fitted for a quality mask and snorkel, however. Many of the rentals simply do not fit and generally leak, making the experience less than what it should be.

That said, I have snorkeled at Coco Cay and it is reasonable snorkeling, but just the experience is something you will remember forever. Have a great time and don't worry about sharks.

Tom
Old 01-25-2005, 07:50 PM

I hate to say it, but normally I'm okay with submerging my face in the water, and I guess floating in the ocean. I snorkeled for the first time this past summer, and my problem was getting used to constantly breathing in/out of my mouth. Also, not being a good swimmer, I did not adjust well to the flippers on my feet in the shallow water. Needless to say, the snorkel time was over, when I got the nerve to go out farther.

Some people have told me their friends practiced breathing through a store bought snorkel, in a swimming pool or tub. If you have the opportunity to do that, it might help. Good luck. Hope you do better than I did. I plan to try it again and hopefully enjoy seeing the beautiful fish, etc.

Also, if you wear glasses, and have contacts you can put on, bring them. Eyeglasses do not fit in the snorkel gear! If you are nearsighted, you won't be able to see the fish!
Old 01-26-2005, 03:51 AM

Lessons are not necessary, but the suggestion of practicing the breathing in a tub is a good one to build your comfort level. I wouldn't worry about sharks in Coco Cay.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-30-2005, 11:25 PM

Thanks again for all the help. You have all set me at ease, although Im not normally a nervous person, I have really found a great deal of help here. That brings me to yet another silly question. OK Ive stopped worrying about sharks, I think, now a well meaning friend has me worried about jellyfish at Cococay. Any comments welcome. Thanx jwash
Old 01-31-2005, 02:55 AM

Ah! The dreaded jellyfish. My daughter's snorkeling adventures have been dampened by encounters with the tiny creatures that do seem to lurk (at times) in good snorkeling spots. She absolutely refuses to ever go snorkeling in Cozumel again. Personally, I have never had a problem at Coco Cay, nor have I heard it being a major problem, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. I guess I haven't done much to calm your fears on that front - but you are snorkeling in the ocean, after all, which just happens to be their habitat.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-31-2005, 09:41 AM

The best way to avoid being stung by jellyfish is to wear a long sleeved tee shirt as you snorkel and avoid any area that would trap any jellyfish being blown by a wind.

While they do exist, their stings are simply irritating, and nothing else.

Enjoy the snorkeling and have a great cruise.

Tom
Old 01-31-2005, 09:56 AM

The best way to keep the jellyfish away is to cover yourself in peanut butter. I guarantee tehy will stay away, and not want to be sandwiched.

David

Closed Thread

Tags
bring, caribbean, cay, coco, cozumel, cruise, equipment, google, nearsighted, om, sharks, snorkel, snorkeling