Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 07:10 PM

We will be in Key West in June with Royal Caribben. They dock at Pier B. We are planning to explore on our own, by foot. Are their any suggestions from seasoned travelers to this area?
Old 05-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat.

Actually "by foot" is the best way to wander Key West. Another option is to buy an all-day pass on the Old Towne Trolley. You can hop on and off all day and they run continuously. That is what I'd do.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:16 PM

You can also rent Golf carts and motor scooters for the day. You should be able to pick up a map of Key West at most places.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:54 PM

Yes, the map suggestion is great for a self guided walking tour. The Conch Train Station has them for sure. I've walked just about to all the points of interest from that area. It is very warm on Key West that time of year, so stay hydrated. You may be able to download a printable walking tour map. That way you can plan your route. I got worn out once and took a taxi back from the Southern Most point marker. I did a lot of side tours on the way up there though including the cemetery.

Dwayne
Old 05-12-2010, 10:07 PM

Here is the Key West Chamber's website.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:49 AM

Thank's for the great information. We are renting an electric car, as a member of our parts has trouble walking long distances. Thanks so much.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:53 PM
I went on a cruise that stopped in Key West. It was onboard the Norwegian Pearl in first week of December 2008. Our stop in Key West was not planned. Our forth and final port of call was suppose to be Greater Stirrup Cay in the Bahamas. But the seas were too rough to use the Tenders (smaller boats) to take us ashore on Greater Stirrup Cay. So instead we went to Key West.

Anyway, I went to a few places that were a short walking distance from the Pier. They were all very nice. Here is a short list of them (not in any particular order):
  • Mel Fisher's Maritime Museum (has allot of relics from the wreck of the Atocha, which includes a gold bar you can touch and pick up)
  • Mallory Square (the famous public square where you can watch the famous sunset and see street performers)
  • The Blonde Giraffe (a tiny little store that sells excellent Key Lime Pies and maybe a few other desserts)
  • Duval Street (the main thoroughfare in Key West with all the all the hangouts, bars, stores, etc. Including the famous "Sloppy Joe's" bar)[/list]I hope this could be some help. Have a nice time on your cruise.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:15 PM

Frase, I thought I was the only one who liked the Blonde Giraffe on our board. I never heard anyone talk about it. I'm so glad you like it. What fantastic key lime pie! We left before sundown so my hubby didn't get to see all the "happenings" on the square at night fall. Key West is truly a "unique" place to visit. I bought a book in Mel's about the mysteries of Key West. It was a light read, but very interesting. Sloppy Joe's is supposed to be haunted.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:43 AM

The Blonde Giraffe will be on my walking tour route this time. I missed it last time somehow. Of course I blew out my flip flop (actually sandals)..Jimmy B reference. Anyway I got sidetracked at Kino's. They fixed it for free and it was 6 years old. I don't have any affiliation with them, but they deserve a mention.

Anyone toured the Hemingway house? I always wanted to but never did.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:50 AM

I've toured the Hemingway house and really enjoyed it. In addition to photos, writings and other paraphernalia, they have at least one place to sit and watch videos of Hemingway with friends, colleagues, etc.

I also really enjoyed the Truman "little White House" museum and surrounding grounds.

Tags
bars, beaches, cruise, distance, dock, key, maps, pictures, pier, point, port, printable, ship, souther, walking, west