Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 08:47 PM

I have a group of 10-18 adults and kids. We will be in Curacao Mon. Nov 23 8A-5P and Aruba Tue Nov 24 7A-2P. Had planned to just do the beach in Aurba and do a beach snorkel tour in Cuacao. Now group wants to do a snorkel from a catemeran tour. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:28 AM

Hi Vickie, welcome to Cruise-Chat. We've done 2 snorkels in Curacao and 2 in Aruba. All of them were through the ship. They used catamarans for all of them. In Curacoa and Aruba, they took us to sunken ships. We did see some turtles and plenty of fish. The last time we were in Curacao, we were rained out, so all we did was a little shopping. The last time we were in Aruba, we went to Palm Beach and had a nice day. There wasn't any snorkeling, but there was a bar/restaurant on the pier, a nice swim area, and plenty of water toys for rent. The cab fare was around $30/each way. They dropped us off between hotels, so when we were ready to come back, we just walked to the hotel and grabbed a cab back to the ship. I'm sure there will be some private companies in each port for snorkeling, but we just think the ship tours are: 1.)more convenient, 2.) they've checked out the vendors, 3.)the ship will wait for you if anything goes wrong, 4.) the price difference isn't that much, and 5.) you can plan your day. The clarity of the water is about the same in either Curacao or Aruba. Now, if you're going to Bonaire, I would wait to do the snorkeling there. See if you can book the Mushy/Mushy catamaran. It's run by a family, the ship is clean, well maintained, and very safe. The snorkeling in Bonaire is among the best I've been on.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:03 PM

In Curacao we used a company called Curacao Actief (see website). They came highly recommended by people I trusted. There are not enough good adjectives to describe our day! We took a "world of water tour" Our family and the guide: that's it! We saw sea turtles, an amazing sea cave (one of the coolest things ever) we went to a natural hot tub, saw and photographed amazing surf, snorkeled in a very private lagoon (no one else's fins in my face!) and had a lunch to die for (and that is with the bounty of cruise ship food already . . ahem under our belts!). The guide was unbeatable. They were prompt, the vehicle was new and clean, everything customized to us--we could say yes or no to any stops. We went to an area that was not developed. It is my favorite shore trip ever. Some ladies we ate lunch with used this same company for a snorkeling only tour and raved as well. I would use them again in a heart beat! We were picked up and dropped off right at the pier terminal, had many many photo ops of the harbor and town before heading out to the island's natural wonders. He also had a working order two way radio and we had plenty of time to summon a back up vehicle if the worst had happened and we needed to get back to the ship on time. It was amazing.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
aruba, carnival, chat, cruise, curacoa, curcao, review, sail, snorkel, snorkling, st, thomas, water