Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/)
-   -   Southern or Western Caribbean (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/5028-southern-western-caribbean.html)

Jmeilike 04-13-2010 10:12 AM

We are looking at two different cruise itinaries and wanted to get some opinions. first is the Southern cruise from San Juan on Carnival and the second is Western caribbean from miami visiting Belize and Houndras. Has anyone been to these places or have opinions regarding the itineries? My husband and i have been on about 7 other cruises before and just want a great vacation. we have traveled with Royal Caribbean, Carnival and NCL.

Cruise Fanatic 04-13-2010 11:38 AM

One thing to keep in mind is the Southern Caribbean cruise is very port intensive. It will be a busy schedule if you intend to do something in every port. It's a great itinerary for those that want to see a lot of different places. A friend of mine loves the Southern because it does spend more time on land. If you're looking for a little bit more relaxing schedule, than the Western would be better. As for the ports themselves. That's subjective whether you'll like them based on what you personally like to do. Most any port anywhere in the Caribbean is good for island tours and snorkeling.

Jmeilike 04-14-2010 05:24 AM

Thank you so much cruise fanatic! My husband and I are go-go-go people, so even if we are on the boat we will find a way to stay busy. My other question lies with the timing. We are looking at October this year and since it is during Hurricane season, would the southern be better? Maybe not as hurricane prone... thx

Cruise Fanatic 04-14-2010 06:10 AM

Yes, the Southern Caribbean is a better itinerary for that reason. I've sailed many times in the month of October and only a couple times has the ship had to miss a port due to a hurricane. Once the Captain reversed the itinerary and we didn't have to miss any ports.

penny3333 04-14-2010 08:19 AM

Hi Jmeilike, welcome to Cruise-Chat! Congratulations on your up-coming cruise! We've sailed many times in October, and are going again this year (my hubby's birthday). So far, we've been VERY lucky with weather. The southern is my favorite, in fact, I try to book it as often as possible. We've even gone down to Trinidad on one itinerary and Tobago on another. Grenada is another one of my favorite ports as well as Dominica and Barbados. We had one that went to St. Vincent, it reminded me of what the Caribbean ports used to be like. The steel pans with dancers greeted us at the pier, they had rum punch awaiting us inside the small shopping area, and the locals were so very friendly (not pushy).

Please let us know which ship you select! Best wishes!

Jmeilike 04-15-2010 06:18 AM

Thank you all for your opinions! I am still stuck. On the one hand, I can leave from Miami and have some friends come with, and risk Hurricanes or on the other hand, fly to San Juan - have a different island each day and be away from Hurricanes. Probably going with the southern. http://bestsmileys.com/thumbs/7.gif

Casanova frankenstein 04-15-2010 07:00 AM

^^^
If you decide for the southern let me know I live In Puerto Rico and I have been on that route a few times

penny3333 04-15-2010 07:03 AM

Sometimes the cruise lines have some good air fare rates to Puerto Rico.

lifeisgd 04-25-2010 03:27 PM

Your going to love the southern caribbean, I have done this one 3 times and just booked our 4th for November 2010. Tried lots of differnt caribbean itineraries but this is the best if you love to see lots of places and do lots of things. I have done this one spring and fall and have always liked this one especially in the fall. Do go out if you have time and walk to the fort in San Juan or take the free trolly service has drop off and pick ups all over (information right next to the peirs). There is an existing side walk you can follow near the ocean that is a lovely walk if you love to get exercise. Have a great time, you will not regret your choise!