Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 05:10 PM

I was wondering if anyone had ventured outside of the fenced in area in Belize by themselves. we have been there a few times but never ventured beyond the fence. I heard that Carnival owns the fenced in area so they would discourage going beyond. I thought it was all for safety, now i am not so sure... i am thinking it now might be all about money, or both, anyone gone beyond the fence without being on a tour?
Old 03-28-2010, 07:16 PM
I've been on the outside only on ship sponsored excursions....There really isn't anything to see in the city...my opinion....Have a great cruise....

Bob E
Old 03-28-2010, 10:01 PM

I've never heard that Carnival owns that area. I have ventured beyond it a small ways once to shop a little. Little is the keyword, it was mostly street vendors without much to sell of interest. I did get a good deal on a silver necklace that was exactly what I was looking for. One lady had the ingenious idea of pricing everything $1 US. I bought several small picture frames from her.

It's probably going to come down to one's comfort level of being approached with sales pitches every few steps. I had no problems venturing a little ways from the gated area.

Dwayne
Old 03-29-2010, 09:33 AM

If I remember correctly, we did a snorkel thru RCL and it was OK.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-29-2010, 01:29 PM

Its not that Carnival owns it, but it is a "Cruise Terminal" (probably run by the government) for use of all the cruise lines that stop there. In any case the locals can not get in to the shopping area. I have been outside the fenced area. I didn't feel unsafe (at least no more than I would if I were in Jamaica) No one hassled me. I was in a group of 6 people though, I am not sure I would do it on my own.

Dwayne is correct in that there are more local sellers outside the fence, lots of local arts and crafts thing if you are into that type of thing. There is a pirate museum too. If you apply the same amount of caution you do in any other port you should be ok.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 04-03-2010, 12:07 PM

I traveled outside the fence with my kids a few years ago we were safe. Besides being run down it was cool for my kids to see how people in other countries live. They saw a school with no windows or doors and the kids were in there.

Carnival Triumph 2007
Carnival Triumph 2006
Carnival Victory 2005
Carnival inspiration 2004
NCL Majesty 2002
NCL Sea 2002

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-04-2010, 07:54 AM

We’ve been there a few times and left the cruise terminal each time. The first time we did a last minute tour through a local taxi company. This was last minute because we weren’t told that our excursion was cancelled until after we tendered to shore. He took us to the zoo and drove us around the different areas of the city and country side. We felt fine but he did have to check out at the gate and they wrote down our names and ship name. When we returned he had to go through the same process and they verified our names and ship name. The second time we did a cave tubing excursion through the ship which was great.
2004 Voyager, Adventure
2005 Explorer
2006 Brilliance
2009 Liberty, Enchantment
2010 Independence, Liberty
2011 Liberty, Freedom
2012 Freedom, Freedom, Independence
Feb 2013 Liberty
Mar 2013 Liberty
Nov 2013 Independence
Old 04-18-2010, 12:10 PM

We had lunch at a delightful place that was to the right when you exited the terminal area. Sat on deck behind a gallery type store and felt totally safe - the food was EXCELLENT and service was very very good. I believe the name was the Harborside Restaurant ... they have main seating upstairs but sis n law and I use walkers and there were only stair so we were served on the deck and it was awesome.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:52 PM

I want to encourage you to take the ship sponsered tour to Xuantunich Mayan ruins. It was the coolest thing I have ever done in my life!!! It is a really long tour so be sure to take the tour offered by the ship!! They pick you up on a bus. You get to see the city, the beautiful country side...There is a tour guide on the bus! It is a long drive but worth it for all you get to see and all the info you get from the guide. The ruins are AWESOME! You get to climb on them. If you not afraid of heights!. Theres even some that are not uncovered. I am really suprised that more people do not talk about this tour! We had time to shop at a little shop. (Make sure to buy Cashew Wine...I don't drink but bought it for friends. It makes you drunk when you drink it and again the next morning after it ferments in your stomach.) Anyway, we stopped at a restraunt and had a local lunch of chicken, beans, rice, and plaintains(included on tour price!)....anyway..it was the coolest thing I have ever done! Trying to post a photo. I hope it works!
Old 04-25-2010, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Trying to post a photo. I hope it works!
In order to post a photo you need to link to it from a hosting site such as Webshots etc. using the image tab.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
belize, cashew, cruise, day, drunk, fence, fenced, fences, gates, make, port, safe, terminal, time, wine