Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/)
-   -   Grand Cayman Tendering Question (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/5177-grand-cayman-tendering-question.html)

MCPayne 08-20-2010 09:10 PM

Hi everyone.

I have a question regarding the tenders going back to the ship from the pier on Grand Cayman. Will they have some sort of signage indicating which tenders go to which ship? The last time I was in Grand Cayman I was fortunate that our ship (the Enchantment of the Seas) was the only ship in port that day we were there.

However, this cruise coming up, according to cruisett.com, there are 2 other ships in port in addition to ours. How do I make sure I get on the right tender back to the correct ship?

f-mattox 08-20-2010 10:58 PM

Not to worry; there were 3 other ships there the last time I visited. It gets pretty hectic in the tender boarding area but there is plenty of signage and they check I.D.'s, so there is no chance of getting on the wrong tender or ship.

Dwayne 08-21-2010 12:10 AM

Yes, as f-mattox said it can be hectic with 3 ships anchored. They'll have signs and check ship cards and ID's. Also when there are 3 ships the traffic/taxi situation gets hectic as well, if I recall.

MCPayne 08-21-2010 09:53 AM

Thanks f-mattox and Dwayne. Right now my plan is to just do 1 excursion that I booked through the ship, which was the Honey Suckle Beach trail ride. After that, I'm not sure whether I'll stay on shore for lunch or just head back to the ship. I figured traffic may be bad with 3 ships in port that day.

f-mattox 08-21-2010 11:40 AM

That sounds like a good plan. Just don't try to do two excursions with lunch on the ship in between; that might work with one ship in port but not with three.

Jim C. 08-21-2010 12:09 PM

3 .. no big deal. I have been there when there were 6 ships in port. It was after a hurricane had gone through and all the ships had switched up their itineraries to avoid the storm. Grand Cayman had all their tenders running and it still wasn't enough. Luckily the Princess ship in port was able to use its own life boats as tenders so that provided some relief.

As far as the signage goes, yes they do a great job at helping you find the correct line to stand in. You should not have a problem.

MCPayne 08-21-2010 03:47 PM

Thanks everybody. f-mattox, yes, I do know now not to do 2 excursions at Grand Cayman, as last time, I did Stingray City through the ship in the morning, and was supposed to do the Honey Suckle Beach trail ride in the afternoon, but the Stingray City trip lasted longer than I thought, and missed the trail ride, which probably turned out to be for the better anyway since it rained in the afternoon.

It was actually a toss up between Stingray City and the Honey Suckle Beach trail ride. I figured since I already did Stingray city last time, I would do the horseback riding this time.