Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 09:17 AM

Bonaire is one of the islands we visit on a forthcoming cruise. We were wondering if there is a beach near where the ship docks that would maybe let us experience some of the clear waters/snorkelling that seems to be the only thing to do here. We have never snorkelled before but would like to try!
Hope someone could give us a few ideas. Thanks
Old 05-21-2010, 09:28 AM

Hi trixibella. There isn't a beach close by, but it's not that far. We have done the Mushi/Mushi snorkel twice and it has been fantastic. It's a beautiful catamaran, operated by two brothers from Denmark. The crew is fantastic, the equipment is top notch, and the snorkeling is wonderful. The water is crystal clear, abundant coral and sea life. I highly recommend them. I am sure a local cab driver could take you to a good beach snorkel area though. It's a great little island, very clean and very friendly. Best wishes!
Old 05-27-2010, 04:26 AM

A real nice beach is about a 10 to 15 minute walk from the pier. It's called the Plaza Resort, and you can pay a fee (I think $10) to use their beach for the day. I think they also rent snorkling equipment if you don't have your own and the snorlking is fantastic! There's an outdoor restaurant there too - very good food.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:10 AM

Thanks, Bob1958. Was the snorkeling good there? I'm always looking for good snorkeling.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by penny3333:
Thanks, Bob1958. Was the snorkeling good there? I'm always looking for good snorkeling.
It was the best I've ever seen, and that includes some nice snorkeling in Hawaii. The depth of the water off the beach ranges from 3 to 7 feet, with a lot of the area where you can rest your legs by walking on the bottom where you're not stepping on coral, so you can ditch the fins. The beach extends a long way down to some old wooden piers where hundreds of some kind of yellow fish were hanging out.

By the way, we did this on our own at very little cost. There is an excursion that goes to this same place but uses a bus and charges way too much for the transportation, food and entrance.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:31 AM

That sounds awesome, I'm definitely going to try that the next time. I'm very happy to walk and don't mind paying the hotel to use their beach at all. I truly loved the Mushi/Mushi, but like trying different sites. Some of my best snorkels have been beach snorkels. Thank you so much for sharing!
Old 05-27-2010, 10:52 AM

Thanks Bob1958 and Penny3333. This might sound a bit daft but would trying to snorkel for the first time be OK at this resort seeing its from a beach? Just a bit confused as to the time it would take to try and get to grips with 'snorkelling'and being able to 'take in' all that is happening.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by trixibella:
Thanks Bob1958 and Penny3333. This might sound a bit daft but would trying to snorkel for the first time be OK at this resort seeing its from a beach? Just a bit confused as to the time it would take to try and get to grips with 'snorkelling'and being able to 'take in' all that is happening.
Actually, this is probably the best place to snorkel for the first time. You can get the feel of it in shallow water before taking off to the better places and if you need any advice there will be plenty of folks around you to help out. You'll do great!

Here's a link to the Plaza Resort. If I remember correctly you head right from the dock along a nice walkway past a bunch of shops, then have to cross a parking lot to get to the entrance,and somebody there will take the fee and give you a wrist band, and snorkel equipment is available for renting at the same place.

http://www.plazaresortbonaire.com/index.html
Old 05-28-2010, 12:37 PM

Trixibella, you really don't even know how to swim to snorkel. You'll have on a snorkel vest which will keep you floating, plus in the ocean, you're very buoyant. If you have trouble with the snorkel tube, all you have to do is lift your head up and drop the tube out of your mouth. You'll do fine, and will be totally amazed at the beauty that lies under the surface. Not that the surface isn't beautiful, too.

Closed Thread

Tags
aruba, bonair, bonaire, catamaran, cruise, di, dock, excursions, grand, mushi, reviews, ship, snorkel, snorkeling, turk