Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 09:49 AM

I'm sailing with a first time cruiser very shortly. She's not the snorkeling nut my hubby and I are. I did book a snorkeling excursion for us in Belize, because I don't remember the currents being strong at all. I want her first snorkel to be an easy one so it doesn't scare her.

I was thinking we'd do 7 mile beach in Grand Cayman and walk around the town a bit. Then go to Tabyana Beach or Fosters in Roatan. Then go to Chankanaab Park in Cozumel.

How's this sound for a first time cruiser? I want her to enjoy the islands and the cruise. If I can get her hooked, then maybe I can talk her into another one since my hubby will only do 1 cruise a year. What do y'all think?
Old 04-07-2010, 10:22 AM

If anyone can help to hook a new cruiser, I'm sure it will be you Penny. We thoroughly enjoyed 7 Mile Beach the last time there as we had done Sting Ray City before. Its a great beach day as far as I'm concerned. We have also snorkeled in Belize but I'll be if I can remember exactly where it was but we did it through RCI or Celebrity. We have never done much on Cozumel except shop and hang out along the strip. We're counting on you to reel them in!

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-07-2010, 01:16 PM

Thanks, Peterl, I am going to try as hard as I can. We had a choice between Turneffe and Goff's in Belize, but I think they both do the reef. I chose Turneffe, just because the excursion used a 65' catamaran and I love sailing. She didn't seem too enthused about Stringray City, so I thought Seven Mile would be a good alternative, it's such a beautiful beach. I'm just trying to remember the first time I visited these ports what excited me. Of course, just cruising excites me.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:07 PM

Sounds like a winner to me. For a first time cruiser there's not too many places you could take her that wouldn't impress her enough to get hooked on cruising.

Sonny
Old 04-07-2010, 10:18 PM

Sounds like a winner to me too Penny!

While walking around town on Grand Cayman include a stop at Abanks' Watersports. The Club Paradise view and some Conch Fritters will get her hooked.

As far as the snorkeling, it's been my experience to start the future addicts out with a beach snorkel.

Dwayne
Old 04-08-2010, 07:44 AM

Abanks will let you use their ladder to snorkel from won't they?(or am I thinking of another dive shop?) I'll try to get her to try a conch fritter, I love them, but not sure if I can get her convinced that they're not slimey.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:44 AM

Ah yes, conch fritters; that was the place I first tried them; their was a festival of sorts in the center of town and they had so many various foods to try. Hum Hum.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-08-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Abanks will let you use their ladder to snorkel from won't they?

The last time I was there they did. I taught my sister to snorkel there. I rented a vest for her from them. It gave her a chance to get acquainted with doing it before we did our boat snorkel on Cozumel. It's a short walk back to the tender pier. Look here.

Dwayne
Old 04-08-2010, 01:26 PM

I couldn't remember if it was Abanks or a different dive shop that let us use their ladder to get into the water. Sure hope they still will. I'm going to bring our wet suits and snorkel vests. I'll bring my mask and tube, but she'll have to rent hers.

Peterl, I love conch fritters, too. I like conch chowder and I've even tried conch raw in a salad. Sounds like a great idea for dinner tonight, but I'll bet no one in Alabama carries conch
Old 04-08-2010, 07:26 PM

it is Abanks in Grand Cayman that lets you use their water ladder. when we were there in 09 we went snorkeling there, beautiful fish beautiful water. But the current was really strong, I do no swim, dont know how but I feel safe in my life vest so I have no problem snorkeling. But at Grand Caymen the current kept pulling me out away from shore and I had ro work really hard to get back. Just be aware of it.

Closed Thread

Tags
abanks, beach, chankanaab, rated, reviews, tabyana, watersports