Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by wooddon:
The pass two years whenever I make a purchase on my VISA card, they request to see photo ID.
Is it a Canadian Passport you have or are you travelling with different Citizenship?
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 10-17-2009, 08:15 PM

It's a Canadian Passport.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:21 PM

Dear Wooddon, Tricky one that photo id. I am from Ontario too, and my mom who no longer drives her car, used her Ontario Health Card with her photo on it (the only photo ID she had other than her passport) when we had to reboard the Jewel last year (in one of the ports - there were like 9 - I can't remember which one in the Caribbean) but cruise ship told us that we would need our sail card plus an additional piece of photo ID to reboard. I am not kidding. I did see some people with their passports. WE NEVER take our passports off the ship. We do take a photocopy of our passport however with us when we leave the ship. THE OHIP card has your picture on it, if you have the new green cards, that should be sufficient Photo ID in addition to the sail card to reboard any ship. I have never had to show a piece of photo ID when I used my VISA credit card anywhere and that includes Asia, and Europe. That is odd that you were asked.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Administrator

The usual drill in the western hemisphere ports is to require those over 16 to show their cruise card and a "government issued" photo ID. They don't break it down beyond that. I've never had more than a glance made, to check that the name on the ID matched my cruise card. It isn't as though you are being processed through immigration. I've never been told which IDs were good and which ones were no good. My Alabama drivers license has worked everywhere, including Canadian ports, the BVI, Mexico, all the other Caribbean islands. My son's high school ID has been accepted without question.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:08 PM

We are Canadians and on our Alaska cruise this year we were required to show photo ID to an official at the dock when returning to the ship. The last port of call was Victoria BC, (we sailed out of Seattle), when we went ashore we did not have to show any ID at any port.

It does appear wooddon is just unlucky
Old 10-17-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Never been asked for photo I.D. to use our CC in the USA.
When did this start?
Lyn, Some stores actually do ask for an ID. They've been doing it for as long as I can remember. I'm stumped as to why a non driver photo ID can't be issued at the Canadian version of the DMV. It's a common thing here.

Dwayne
Old 10-18-2009, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Lyn, Some stores actually do ask for an ID. They've been doing it for as long as I can remember. I'm stumped as to why a non driver photo ID can't be issued at the Canadian version of the DMV. It's a common thing here.

Dwayne
Guess i have been lucky then.
I have never been ask in the USA or anywhere for that matter for I.D. when using my CC

There are a couple of Provinces that do offer Photo I.D. card but Ontario is not one of them yet. Suppose to be here in 2011.

The only port that asked us to see our photo i.d. with S&S card was Acapulco.

Some people are just more unlucky than others I guess
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 11-20-2009, 12:30 PM

Was in Nassau and although I liked ti my Wife asked me to respond. The Taxi drivers drive you crazy, they do on all the islands but Nassau was just tooo much. Did a two hour tour and the driver took us to the fort that was 30 minutes and then he went as slow as possible EVERYWHERE AND ANYWHERE, just to make sure he got his money and we saw nothing. What else to say just be aware of the taxi's. As for safety be aware of your surroundings, if it does not look good get out of there
Old 11-20-2009, 05:19 PM

They have changed things a bit at the terminal in Nassau. It is now secured as far as walking through to get a taxi. They round everyone up going to the same area to fill the taxi, and then you are walked outside. They are more aggressive than they used to be. Just walking to our taxi with the group we were approached multiple times to do other things or to take another taxi. Our driver kept saying to them "they are with me"!

We lucked out and had a good taxi driver. Six people were going to Atlantis and us two going to the ferry terminal. He told us to wait while he got everyone in so we could sit up front so he could drop us off first at the ferry terminal. I was so thankful for this I paid the bridge fee for him as well as a tip. I've had some that have just dropped me at Atlantis and I had to walk to Cabbage Beach or the ferry terminal.

The cruise terminal was packed and chaotic as always. People yelling for tours and taxis. I feel bad for newbies going to Nassau as it must be confusing and intimidating. Heck, I've been there a plethora of times and it is at the least annoying to me.

Dwayne
Old 11-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Administrator

I hope Nassau isn't heading down the Ocho Rios path.

Closed Thread

Tags
ashore, beach, bus, carnival, cruise, freeport, gunpoint, killed, myrtle, nassau, passengers, passport, puerto, robbed, sc, sensation, tourist, tourists, vallerta