Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
The usual drill in the western hemisphere ports is to require those over 16 to show their cruise card and a "government issued" photo ID. They don't break it down beyond that. I've never had more than a glance made, to check that the name on the ID matched my cruise card. It isn't as though you are being processed through immigration. I've never been told which IDs were good and which ones were no good. My Alabama drivers license has worked everywhere, including Canadian ports, the BVI, Mexico, all the other Caribbean islands. My son's high school ID has been accepted without question.
Dave, We are going to Panama & Costa Rica in February. Are you saing we only need a driver's license when we are in those ports? Papa

Old 11-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Administrator

They will not ask to see your passport when you leave or return to the ship. All they want to see is your cruise card and some form of official photo ID such as a driver license.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks Dave...I've been reading your posts and it sounds like it's a bad idea to take the passport ashore.
Papa
Old 11-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
it sounds like it's a bad idea to take the passport ashore
I wouldn't call it a bad idea, just something that is unnecessary in most ports. Why chance losing your passport when you can leave it safely locked up in your cabin? If a port requires it, the ship will tell you. But given that closed-loop voyages don't even require U.S. passengers to have a passport (yet), you will not be asked for one at any destination covered under the closed-loop exemption.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I hope Nassau isn't heading down the Ocho Rios path.
Not that bad yet. It has definitely changed a bit though. They were yelling "Go to Atlantis" even after we left the terminal and walking to the taxi. We had six Senior Citizens in the taxi group. They kept thinking they were suppose to go with the people that were yelling Atlantis. I took charge of that and told them to stay with me and ignore everyone else. Once a Boy Scout...

They had taxis right outside the door of the terminal. I guess the next driver in line for a fare wasn't one of those as we had to walk. The terminal doors are locked for returning passengers and they are forced to walk by the kiosks. Nothing like exiting Dunn's yet. Or, the way it used to be.

Dwayne
Old 11-23-2009, 07:37 AM

Had to show picture id in Puerto Vallarta. Policeman or port person was standing there. It held things up a bit.

When I was in California, several different stores asked for ID when I paid with cc. At the zoo I made a comment that I had never been asked for my id so many times. He said they have a lot of identity theft out there. I think he was being serious.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
But given that closed-loop voyages don't even require U.S. passengers to have a passport (yet), you will not be asked for one at any destination covered under the closed-loop exemption.
But you have to show it to get on the ship at embarkation.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Administrator

More tourists have been held up at gunpoint in Nassau. 18 Cruise Passengers Robbed

How about the quote from the one nitwit, trying to put positive spin on it...."no one was really injured".
Old 11-23-2009, 08:39 AM

You know.. its been a long time since I have been to the Bahamas.. in light of this, its going to be a lot longer before I go again.

It doesn't take much of this activity to give a port a bad enough name to kill its tourism... the police and locals better put a stop to it or their livelihood will be gone...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 11-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Administrator

The Bahamas (both Nassau and Freeport) are 3rd and 4th on my list of ports I don't want to see again, behind Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. In all cases it is another sea day to me.

Closed Thread

Tags
ashore, beach, bus, carnival, cruise, freeport, gunpoint, killed, myrtle, nassau, passengers, passport, puerto, robbed, sc, sensation, tourist, tourists, vallerta