Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/)
-   -   Tourists robbed at gunpoint in Nassau (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/6242-tourists-robbed-gunpoint-nassau.html)

Dave 10-16-2009 07:52 AM

11 cruise ship passengers were robbed at gunpoint at the Queen's Steps in Nassau this past Sunday. The Story

I can't find out which ship it was. On Sunday the Majesty Of The Seas, Carnival Imagination, and Carnival Glory were at Nassau.

Note to those who insist on bringing their original passports ashore...still think it is a good idea?

penny3333 10-16-2009 08:46 AM

That is really a blow for Nassau. Why in the world weren't there police at these locations. They know every cab driver visits the forts and the staircase, in fact they have many of their friends set up there to sell souvineers. I actually think the locals will turn them in or call in tips, because it hurts their income so much.

I assume this was in broad daylight?

Dave 10-16-2009 09:29 AM

Yes, it happened at 11am.

With this type of robbery, they won't be brazen. Just one police officer standing around would be enough.

macmom111 10-16-2009 09:46 AM

I can see how it happened. My sister and I travel together and I am very very aware of my space around me.
When we went to the queens staircase I was very very uneasy (2 older women) it is so easy to be cornered there... it is a bit isolated and are completely surrounded by high brick walls, one way in and same way out.
I hate it.

spoheat 10-16-2009 09:55 AM

Photo copy the information page of the passport and carry that! Anything can happen.

Dave 10-16-2009 10:31 AM

I agree that the Steps is an odd place, almost eerie. They do absolutely nothing to impress me.

The photocopy of the passport is the way to go if you feel the need to go that far. Honestly, we just take our photo IDs when in the Caribbean.

bmh 10-16-2009 10:46 AM

We just take photo ID and the ship card, along with a some cash. Even if the cash gets wet when swimming or snorkeling it is not a problem. Is there not a “Soggy Dollar bar”.

penny3333 10-16-2009 01:56 PM

I'm sure they took money, jewelry, cameras, and purses/wallets. We use a plastic waterproof carrier, that we wear around our necks. We take our ship card, driver's license, one credit card, and some cash with us when we go ashore. The only port we've ever taken our passports with us was in Trinidad, and we were told to. I don't know if they would have taken a photocopy or not. I really feel they'll catch these thieves, but all ports should have police security in known tourist areas.

jerseygirl74 10-16-2009 05:37 PM

We've never taken our passports...why would you? A photo ID, seapass, a couple of dollars for tipping on the excursion, and a cc.

On our cruise to Costa Rica last Nov., another excursion was held up at gunpoint. They only took cash.

Dwayne 10-16-2009 06:24 PM

This sure isn't good news. What a terrible thing to have happen. I hope someone turns them in. I don't guess I'll be walking to the crew bar at 1 AM anymore.

Dwayne