Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 07:52 AM

I am heading to Belize on Carnival Dream in December - going to do cavetubing/zip line (canopy tour) combination excursion. Trying to decide between action boys, belizecruiseexcursions.com, and coral breeze tours. Has anyone done this excursion with any of these companies - recommend?? Thanks for your help!
Old 01-04-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm hitting Belize next month and also was wondering about cave tubing. I'm claustrophobic, so wasn't sure if that would be the excursion for me. (Then again, I thought cruise stateroom would make me feel trapped, and they don't.) I was wondering if it's worth it, how long it is of a drive/hike to these caves (is it going to be like an hour ride, hour hike and then five seconds in a cave?), and what people think about booking such tours outside the cruise line. It always makes me nervous, yet so many people seem to have great experiences for a lot cheaper...thoughts?

Booked on NCL Breakaway, Feb. 2014
Carnival Conquest, Feb. 2012
NCL Gem, Sept. 2011
NCL Jewel, Feb. 2011
NCL Dawn, Sept. 2010
NCL Spirit, Feb. 2010
NCL Gem, March 2009
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Feb. 2008
Carnival Miracle, May 2007
Carnival Conquest, April 2006
Caribbean Princess, Feb. 2005
Old 01-04-2010, 01:43 PM

sorry nyxi have not done the combo excursion but Cortney my wife and I did do the cave tubing last month.

We did it through cavetubing.com. This is something that i had always wanted to do. I would reccommend going to a reputable outside company as you get a alot more for a lot less money and it is their job to get you back on time.

As for the excursion itself the company did a great job, we took about an hour long bus ride to the river. Along the way we were given a guided tour and the guides were very entertaining. Once we got to the river we were given a chance to change ( there were real bathrooms and change stalls... very civilized). From there we grabbed our tubes and hiked to the drop off point. The walk through the rain forest was great. Very hot and again we were given lots of info about the flora and fauna.

We dropped into the river and they hooked you in chains of eight tubes with a guide in front. You actually spend most of your time in the caves (we went through 2) You spent 20 -30 minutes in each cave. I am not claustrophobic but can't imagine that it would bother you, the caves are very large and you don't get to close to anything to give you that claustrophobic feeling.

After the second cave you spend another 15 minutes floating back to the starting point. I actually wished that we had spent more time on the river outside of the caves.

We had a great time, wouldn't do it again because I already have and it wasn't really a thrilling tour. We loved the walk in the rain forest and found the tubing a little long. Knowing what I know now I would still have done this excursion and think it was worth the money. We paid $45 each for the day and we were back to the ship with a few hours to spare.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the info, Wilson! I'm still hemming and hawing on this one!

Booked on NCL Breakaway, Feb. 2014
Carnival Conquest, Feb. 2012
NCL Gem, Sept. 2011
NCL Jewel, Feb. 2011
NCL Dawn, Sept. 2010
NCL Spirit, Feb. 2010
NCL Gem, March 2009
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Feb. 2008
Carnival Miracle, May 2007
Carnival Conquest, April 2006
Caribbean Princess, Feb. 2005
Old 04-25-2010, 12:20 AM

On our cruise in Belize in 2008 a lady died on the caving excursion. I wasn't on that excursion but they sent us a letter about it. The water was up and the company decided to continue with the tour anyway. I think it's pretty safe but just so you know....use cation if the waters are up.

Closed Thread

Tags
belize, belizest, canopy, cave, february, kitts, last, long, norwegian, puerto, rico, st, thomas, tour, tube, tubing