Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/)
-   -   Dunns River Falls Question (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/6725-dunns-river-falls-question.html)

MCPayne 04-28-2010 06:24 PM

Does anyone know about how strenuous Dunns River falls is in Jamaica? After looking through these boards, it appears that is a must do in Ocho Rios. However, I have a medical condition, and cannot do any activity that is too strenuous, such as walking up steep inclines for long periods of time.

f-mattox 04-28-2010 08:46 PM

I would say it is not so much that it is strenuous; it is not a steep incline all the way; the pace is pretty slow and there are lots of places where it is rather easy going. But it can be very slippery in places and requires good balance and sure-footedness.

There is a walkway that goes along side the falls where you can get a good idea of what is involved, as only you really know your limitations. That is what I did--walked along the side first, and decided not to attempt climbing the falls as I'm overweight and my balance is not that good anymore.

But I think I enjoyed it almost as much as if I had climbed it.

Dwayne 04-28-2010 10:01 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know about how strenuous Dunns River falls is in Jamaica? After looking through these boards, it appears that is a must do in Ocho Rios. However, I have a medical condition, and cannot do any activity that is too strenuous, such as walking up steep inclines for long periods of time.
That's a tough question. I saw some people doing some straining the last time I was there. That was 14 years ago and I was in my 30's and I thought it was a good work out. If you are not even supposed to walk up steep inclines, I wouldn't suggest climbing a slippery one. I'm not a doctor (don't even play one on tv), I think YOU should consult your Doctor!

Dwayne

MCPayne 04-29-2010 05:36 PM

Thanks f-mattox and Dwayne. Walking alongside seems like a good idea, but am not sure how that works if I book an excursion, as opposed to just going there on my own. I would probably do an organized excursion if I did that, either through the cruise line or Shoretrips.

f-mattox 04-29-2010 06:05 PM

Princess had one excursion, "Dunn's River Falls Viewing and Coyaba Gardens" which made it clear it was not a climb, but just a viewing of the Falls from the adjoining walkway. I'm sure RCI has something similar.

Ocho Rios is one port where I would NOT venture out on my own.

By the way, the Coyaba Gardens were extraordinary--one of the highlights of the trip.

MCPayne 04-29-2010 06:56 PM

Thanks f-mattox. The excursion I would probably do is this one. Not sure if the link will work or not, but in the description, it states we can climb the falls or relax on the beach below. After searching the web for images and video, I think if I did it with a guide, I'd be okay, even though it's probably extra in addition to the excursion fee.

f-mattox 04-29-2010 08:02 PM

This excursion looks perfect.

Dwayne 04-29-2010 09:52 PM

I concur. http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...icon_smile.gif

That way you can make an assessment for yourself. The falls have a few starting and stopping points along the walkway if I recall. You could get in the water for a bit and maybe climb up a little and back. Warning - the water is a bit on the chilly side! There is a part of the climb that has a nice pool type area with access. Again, if I recall correctly. As you most likely know water shoes are in order for the falls.

Dwayne

MCPayne 04-30-2010 02:51 PM

Thanks Dwayne. Yes, I know about water shoes, and will probably head down to the sporting goods store here to see what they have, or just order them online.

peterh 05-12-2010 08:41 AM

We've just come back from a Liberty Cruise. Went on this excursion - we didn't walk up the falls but went down to the beach instead - not the nicest beach I have ever visited I have to say - only famous for that James Bond scene with Racquel Welch!!!

The guys who did the falls said is was hard work and be prepared to get soaked - I saw some people doing it in bare feet which didn't seem a good idea!! It takes a good hour - not because it is a long walk - just a slow line with everyone holding hands

As an aside I reckon this is not the most environment friendly activity - all those people doing this day in day out must eventually cause some damage