Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 11:13 PM

Hi,

The college just notified us that our daughter's online registration time-window will be during our cruise. (They haven't given us the exact time-frame yet.) It looks like we will be in St. Thomas, Antigua or Tortola on the day(s) she needs to register. Does anyone have recommendations of good internet cafe locations in these ports?

Alternatively, has the service (either internet cafe or Wi-Fi) on board ships improved any? We'll be on the Carnival Freedom.

I've heard that the internet speed is painfully slow on the ships but keep hoping that technological advances will catch up.

Don't want to sacrifice the college registration or the port visits, any ideas will be appreciated!
Old 08-11-2009, 06:46 AM

There is still a phone and there is also preregistration. We have it where I work (at UAH). The service on board is satellite, so at times it can be good, at times it can be bad. Have her call her advisor, she should be able to set her up for her classes early.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:28 PM

Penny,
Thanks sooooo much for your response. We are new at the college registration game. We are dealing with a UC out here in California, and I didn't think they would help us. I don't believe there is a pre-registration or phone registration and our student didn't have an advisor yet. However, based on your suggestion, I contacted a couple of people we'd come across at the orientation. I explained our travel situation and the bind we were in (especially since they had told us they would register students for classes at the orientation a week earlier and then did not do that).
Well, with a few long distance phone calls while we were traveling across the country to catch our ship, we were finally able to hook up with someone who did register our student for classes by phone. Without explaining all the background details...lets just say that the situation created a lot of tension for our family right up until the day before our cruise, in Florida. After that, and because of your suggestion that we pursue a 'pre-registration' solution, we got the relaxing family vacation and bonding that we had needed and hoped for.
Thanks again!
Old 09-02-2009, 01:55 PM

Wow, I cannot believe they were such a pain about preregistration. We have students from all over and they would absolutely not attend if they couldn't get their registrations done by phone or over the internet. Our advisors will register them without hesitation, and we have a group called ChargerCentral that will help any student anytime. I am so VERY glad that you were able to relax and enjoy your vacation without worrying about semi-reliable internet service. Not to mention expensive internet service. Tell us about your cruise! Are you hooked?

Closed Thread

Tags
antigua, cafe, caribbean, cruise, internet, john, port, reviews, speed, st, thomas, tortola, tortolo, whar