Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 11:03 AM

Hi

Has anyone gotten a taxi at the cruise pier at Ocho Rios to the Dunn Fall? How much did it cost and how long dose it take to get there? Also can we climb the falls without a guide? You know how it is -- just trying to save a little money. vacation on a budget

Thanks
Old 02-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Administrator

The falls are just a couple miles away. Years ago when Ocho was a more quaint place I walked to the falls from the port. I wouldn't do it today.

The thing with the taxis on your own deal is this - they will pressure you to do more than the falls. They will want to take you on a tour. They will be very persistent. I'd stick with the ship's offers for Dunn's River Falls. The advantage of a ship's tour is that you can leave your belongings in the mini-bus and the driver will guard them.

Please don't try to do the falls without a guide. I can guarantee that you will run into a problem eventually. The guides know where all the foot holds are. You don't. I first did the falls in 1981, when I was young and in shape. We decided we didn't need a guide and off we went. It was okay for the first little bit, but then we got in trouble and were stuck with water careening down all around us and we had no idea how to get out of the predicament. A guide eventually stopped his group and rescued us. It was quite humbling.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:50 PM

Sounds like good advice! Has anyone done the Mystic Mountain tour? How is this? Is the zip lining included? I believe that there is a bob sled ride there? I also think I read that there is a diffrent place that you can zip line and ATV ride? Any info?? Confused..lol..
DCL Wonder 2007
RCL Enchantment of the Seas 2008
Princess Diamond 2009
RCL Oasis of the Seas 2010
Old 03-03-2009, 05:56 AM

Nat, whatever you decide to do, do it in a group. Jamaica is one of the few islands I highly recommend going on a ship's excursion. If you just have to do an excursion on your own, be sure you go in a group. Be sure you only use a cab driver that is inside the port area with credentials, don't let them take you off somewhere you didn't agree to. You can research your destinations on-line. I just really recommend staying with a ship's excursion here.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:18 AM

I'm in agreement on this one. I like to do my own thing but I wouldn't in Jamaica. I did an excursion to the falls that had a boat take you to the falls. You get a nice little tour & a nice boat ride so you might want to consider this tour also.

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, dull, dulls, dunn, dunns, falls, find, jamaica, jamaican, jamica, ocho, port, rios, taxi, taxis