Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2007, 06:53 PM

Anyone have any suggestions for excursions at this port. Any info on this port would be helpful, since this is our first time visiting Progresso! We have a party of 12 (7 adults and 5 children). I would like to see the ruins, but was kind of interested in taking a jeep tour instead of a bus. Has anyone taken the jeep tour? Details? Cost? Water, food, and bathroom availability? Remember we have children (all over age 7). Thank You!
Old 01-05-2007, 10:41 AM

For sure, you don't want to do the Corona Beach excursion ... Just say the name speaks for itself!

Don't get me wrong as that is the trip we did in September. It was fun, we were the Sr. couple, but we spent most of our time just relaxing and the drinks were very weak with little to no alchol which was fine with us. We left on the 1st bus back to the ship and just shopped in the shopping area right by the ship. The other areas for shopping looked a little to scary to me.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:59 PM

Not certain why the cruise lines have added Progreso to their itineraries, but would imagine it has to do with $$$.

We visited the area a year ago, not as a cruise port of call, rather we rented a beach house. Ours was a trip to the Mayan capital, Merida, and the surrounding area, so expectations were different. We had plans to explore nearby Merida for Domingo en Merida (Sunday at the city square), take in some ruins, get a mayan massage and chill on the beach.

There is very little signs of government development in Progreso compared with the eastern shore of the state of Yucatan, at the well known, and overcrowded ports like Playa and Cozumel. Dependent on what you like, Progreso can be an oasis or a arm pit!

My wife and I prefer the interior of Mexico and the charm of the indigenous people, especially in the Yucatan where the people are truly friendly. If you do a little research on the area (try www.meridainsider.com) you can make your plans and set your expectations accordingly. The Malecon beach at the pier is a nice beach and there are 2-3 decent restaurants on the 3-4 block ocean front that is Progreso. Also, if you are looking for your run of the mill mayan ruins there is a site, it's spelled DZIBILCHALTUN, that is just off the highway between Progreso and Merida, for more info go here: http://www.mayan-world.com/ruinas/yucatan.htm
Old 01-12-2007, 08:09 PM

Thanks for all the information!! We are still thinking about what we want to do. On our last cruise (7 days on Conquest Aug 2005 from NO) we visited Cozumel, and we rented a car and went sightseeing. We found a spot on a beach, had a few drinks, ate, snorkeled, and then left to do some shopping. This time we will be visiting Cozumel and Progresso. We are going to visit a Mayan Ruin (don't know which or which port). Now we have 14 people coming 7 adults and 7 children ( all will be 8 and older). Any one know anything about Mr Sancho's? I was thinking if we did the ruins in Progresso; we could do some horseback riding in Cozumel. Just a thought.
We are getting very excited about our trip!!!! All the decisions are making it even more exciting!! LOL

Thank YaLL,
Katrina

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, cruise, maleceon, malecon, mexico, mr, progreso, progresso, ruins, sanchos, ship