Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:42 AM

Hey all! New to the site here, and going on my first cruise.

I have done LOTS of research but still need some advice.

When we stop in Calica, we want to tour Tulum, then probably go to Playa to explore, shop and maybe enjoy the beach.

We do not want to book an excursion for this, would much rather adventure out on our own. I know taxis will be available when we get off the ship, but are there any other options to get to Tulum?

What about the Colectivos? Is it practical to walk to the highway and catch them? If not, are we better off to taxi to Playa, then take the Colectivo or bus to Tulum?

Oh, and Xcaret looks like it is very close to the port as well. If someone wants to go there, is it walkable? How close is the entrance to the Highway?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
Old 08-16-2006, 02:05 PM

When we go to Calica, we rent a car. Executive car rentals (you can probably google them) with an office in Cancun sets it up for us. We have been to Tulum, Xel Ha, and Mayan ruins at Coba. We have also been into Playa for some beach time and shopping. We rented a 7-passenger van for about $90 for the day. A small car was available for half that.

Haven't tried the public transit, and have no problems getting in way MORE than a cruise ship tour can get us to in one day.

Hope you have a great time.

2004 - Fascination
2005 - Ecstasy, Elation
2006 - Sensation, Holiday
2007 - Fantasy, Glory
2008 - Holiday, Sensation
2009 - Fantasy, Valor, Glory
Coming up:
2010 - Monarch OTS
Old 08-20-2006, 03:33 PM

Hey all. Just got back from my cruise and this is what I learned about Calica:

1) The bus and colectivo vans are EASY to use if you are on the highway, in Tulum or Playa Del Carmen.
2) You can catch a cab to Playa for $10 USD or just have them take you to the highway for $6
3) You can walk to the highway if you choose, depending on your tolerance for the heat. It can be a little confusing tho, so use caution.

On the highway, colectivo vans or the buses will usually flash their headlights at you to let you know that they have space. Just extend your arm to let them know you need a ride.

It cost us $2 USD per person to go from Tulum to Playa!

Closed Thread

Tags
calica, colectivo, colectivos, cruise, mexico, port, trucking, tulum