Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2006, 09:10 PM

BIG GUY HERE IS SNORKELING GOING TO BE A PROBLEM...DO THE PLACES MAKE YOU WEAR LIFE VESTS......ARE THE BOATS EAST TO GET IN AND OUT OF ? WHATS UR SUGGESTIONS

Barcelo Resorts: All Inclusive
Old 04-18-2006, 05:07 AM

It probaby depends on where you go snorkeling. My husband is not a small man and the vests fit him fine. We have been snorkeling in St. Thomas, Nassau, and Mexico (all of the places we went required the life vests). FYI you might want to take some biodegradeable sunblock. If you are snorkeling coral reefs or in some places like XCARET they won't let you in with any other kind. Hope this helps.
Carnival Victory-04/18/10

Old 04-18-2006, 09:54 AM

Some of the ships are easier to get on and off when they have dive platforms, but none of the catamarans have had them. It is easier getting into the water than out, but if you have someone you can hand your equipment to on board you should have no trouble getting out. We've snorkeled in St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Grenada, Mexico, Grand Cayman, Barbados, St. Maarten, Martinique, St. Vincent, Curacoa, Bon Aire, Aruba, Tortola, Domiica, Jamaica, and a few other places which have all required snorkel vests. They're pretty adjustable, so I doubt you'll have any problems. Enjoy your cruise and snorkeling!!
Old 04-18-2006, 11:46 AM

My big guy, had no problem with the vest or the ladder. We were lucky to be on a boat with a dive ladder though so it was just a matter of walking down the steps. More trouble for me as I'm vertically challenged and I had a hard time reaching the bottom step to get back on the boat.

In Cozumel, we took one of the catamarin's for snorkle, and they had the ladder down the front and it was no problem either getting off or on.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:34 PM

How big are your BIG GUYS.. and how adjustable...what size chest do they fit....or whatever....any help would be great...just don't want to waste my time...doing it if the vest isn't going to fit...
as for getting in and out of the water i am very limber for a biggggger guy....that doesn't bother me.....its just the size of the vest etc.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:00 AM

My husband is about 6 foot 230 with a wide chest and he has never had a problem. the vests have always been adjustable. some of the vests are more like belts and go around your waste.
Carnival Victory-04/18/10

Old 04-20-2006, 05:21 AM

Being a big guy was not a problem. The only thing I can suggest is if you have a mustach, shave it off. I had a problem getting the mask to seal over it. We have done the catamaran smorkeling trips twice. They both had a drop down staircase that was easy to get on and off.

Read and post cruise reviews

Enchantment 2007
Serenade 2006
Majesty 2006
Sovereign 2004
Sovereign 2003
Sovereign 2002
Old 04-20-2006, 09:08 PM

Thanks so much vafatboy....appreciate that...i am a big guy 370's 6'1'' 58" chest so curious as if i would have a problem with the life vest since they are a requirment.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:58 PM

I'm 6'4 305lbs. The vest they use for snorkling just is a small inflatable thing that fits over your head. It looks like a bib on me.

Frankly though, they aren't necessary. Salt water is very buoyant particularly for us big guys. Most excursions don't make you wear them. They say they do but they don't usually.

Closed Thread

Tags
big, cruise, guy